Benefits Question

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by plum, Nov 8, 2013.

1. plum

plum
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good day all.

I just finished school, and got my first real job at a nonprofit. I am not too familiar with all the benefits that are out there, or what benefits are common.

One of the benefits at this organization is a retirement plan with contributions. 5% of my paycheck would be taken out for my retirement, and the organization will contribute 10%. The HR representative told me that this could only start right away if my previous job was also a nonprofit, otherwise it would kick it after a year.

My previous job (job A) was at a temp agency that payed me to work at a nonprofit. My job before that (job B) was a non-profit institution paying me to intern at a state agency. I told the HR representative this, and she said that neither counted – job A because the nonprofit wasn’t paying me directly, and job B because only the previous job is what counts.

Now the twist ---
    The nonprofit I am working for – I was technically hired for a temp position with no benefits (paid hourly) that lasted a little over a month. The new position is permanent, with benefits, with salary and paid more. I have documentation saying that the permanent position was a “new hire”, even though I was already working there.

So, technically, my previous job was at the same nonprofit. Therefore, shoudl the contributions should start right away, if what the HR person says is true? Have you heard of anything like this before? I haven’t talked to the HR person yet since it came to me that my previous job was at the same company.

Thanks!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum plum, thanks for joining and congratulations on getting that job, that's an excellent achievement.

What country are you based in?

• Like Like x 1
  3. plum

plum
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Fergal.

I'm in the U.S. :)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm in Ireland and unfortunately am not familiar with what benefits are generally offered by US employers. What you could try doing is looking at job vacancy adverts for similar positions with similar types of organisations. Most job adverts will give an indication of the benefits offered by the employer, so this should give you an understanding of what is generally offered in your sector.

Does that help at all?

5. ald1991

ald1991
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Plum -

Because you were technically hired as a temp with no benefits, you weren't technically a permanent part of the staff. That's probably why you were considered a "new hire" when you were permanently given a position with the non-profit. With that being said, you will not be able to open a 401K until you have been with that company for a year. Other benefits offered to you will probably be available either right away or after your probationary period has ended - that completely depends on how HR has decided to set up the benefits program.

I am not 100% on this information, this is just what I have deciphered from my college studies and from discussions I have had with executives I personally know. Hope this helps!