Benefits of Complaining

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, you've heard it here first. There are a lot of benefits of complaining.

In the BAF thread: Bill Gates once said, it was stressed that when we receive bad service/product and no one complains about it, the staff and management of that business will think that they're doing a terrific job and do not realize that they're losing customers. So we as customers, should tell them what they're doing wrong and at the same time, give them a chance to improve.

With that said, I think that customers would still prefer to walk away than complain. Do you know the reason why? I'll tell you.. it's because people are generally selfish so why would they complain if they gain nothing by it. Well, that's where they're wrong. Aside from the first benefit above, which is solely to help improve the business, there are a lot of benefits to the customers as well.

I was in the customer service industry for a long time so as a customer, I also expect good service. So that means, I complain a lot hehe. :)

Based on my complaining experience, I've listed below the benefits of complaining - for the customers. If you know more, please don't hesitate to add to the list.
    • Be treated like a king - If you receive bad service and complain, chances are that after complaining, you will receive excellent and first class service. No longer will you be served by the clumsy waiter who just started or the rude cashier. Instead, you will be served like a king (queen in my case) by their experienced staff or even the branch manager himself.
    • Enjoy upgrades - Have you ever received bad service in a hotel or a plane? You must definitely complain. You might get a free upgrade to first-class seats in the planes and bigger rooms or even penthouse suites in hotels.
    • Enjoy discounts or even full refunds - This is the latest benefit I got from complaining about bad service when I underwent a health screening test. I shoot them a lengthy email and complain and I got full refund... my health screening test is now free of charge.
    • Nice treats - Now this is nice. It's seldom that I receive flowers from my hubby anymore so getting flowers and treats like fruit baskets and stuff, is a wonderful thing.

So, what are you waiting for? Be on the lookout for bad service or product and complain! You'll thank me for it. :)

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You are right Nazreen. A lot of companies will do back flips for you just to avoid the bad press.

3. entreator

entreator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes ,what nazreen said is absolutely right specially for the service sector.In service sector complaints are a dark spot at the service providers image and his market credibility so they wont like any complaint and if they get some they will try to make sure there system doesn't provide such lousy service again.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Indeed many companies will give you a free gift or a discount if you complain, so it is worth complaining, if you have actually received bad service. I'd prefer to only complain if the service is really bad, I wouldn't like to become the type of person who is constantly looking for faults to complain about.

Customers are actually doing the business a favour when they complain, they are giving the business the opportunity to improve. Much better to know if you are giving a bad service or selling an inferior product.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just do it... Just complain

Most people here in Singapore would just walk away than complain. I guess the reason for that is that the service here really sucks and the customer might have gotten used to that. They would also say that it's better not to make trouble. Maybe it's some sort of quiet kindness of not wanting to put someone in trouble.

But in reality, holding our tongue will just do the opposite. How else will these companies know their faults if no one complains? And also, how else can we consumers improve the kind of service that we are experiencing today?

We benefit as customers with the retailers and companies doing back flips for us as Pendelson has so wittingly said, and at the same time, these companies will have learned a very good lesson.

6. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is just right Nazreen. We as customers should always be on the lookout of the products and services we get. We have the right to complain and we have the right to get and be satisfied of what we availed or purchased. If we do not complain about the bad products and/or services we get, then they will continue to do get unwanted services/products.

7. Tetris

Tetris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I complain when I have a faulty product all the time. It pays off! I usually get coupons or a free product.

8. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best example is digital point. Everyone tries to be away from negative feedback. If we are so much cautious in this small think how would large consultancies would feel on negative feedback..