Benchmarking!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MAcc2007, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MAcc2007

MAcc2007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm working at a company that does $130 million in sales annually and we don't currently benchmark our operating expenses against other companies in our industry. The level at which I'm considering benchmarking is at the level of the individual operating expenses such as product development, finance, marketing, sales, distributing, etc... However, I'm not aware of any resources that aggregate information at that level (and yes I took a crack at using Google), but I'm not having any luck. I'm going to guess that that information is our there somewhere, but does anyone know where that information might be?

2. golden-process

golden-process
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Check out financial reports of public companies. They'll have all their financials listed. They may not list the exact value you're looking for, but with a calculator you'll probably be able to get the number or ratio you're looking for. Does that help?

3. seoev

seoev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Golden process is absolutely rigth!
    Financial reports of the public companies is the primary source for you. WIth it you can get general overview of the companies in your industry.
    Also there are 2 alternative options:
    1) The reports of the analytycal companies, such as Forester or IDC
    2) I know for sure that SAP provides bencmarking services for free to their customers (Prooflink https://valuemanagement.sap.com). Maybe other large software companies also do it.