Beating the Afternoon Slump and Being Productive After Lunch

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some people work best in the morning and others best at night. Personally I feel productive and focused in the morning and in the late evening. However, I often feel really tired after lunch and find it difficult to remain focused and productive.

Do you have any tips for dealing with the afternoon slump and remaining productive and alert throughout the working day? Maybe you have ideas on the best foods to eat at lunch time, exercising after lunch, taking a nap or motivational tricks? What works best for you?

2. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice question, Fergal. I too feel too lazy right after lunch. For me, a cup of coffee works best. Right after my coffee break , I am alert and ready to say goodbye to my afternoon slump :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I do like coffee and it does give me a boost. Unfortunately for me the energy boost is short term, a few hours later I'm more tired than if I never had the coffee.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also often feel tired and sleepy in the afternoon. I think this is mostly because we've just eaten our lunch. So for me, the best thing to beat the afternoon slump would be not to eat a big lunch. Instead, just eat a small one and if you feel hungry again, eat some fruits. Not all at once, mind you, but small portions throughout the day. Banana would be best to perk you up but other fruits should still be okay.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'll try that Nazreen. Do you eat your main meal in the evening?

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah that too happens at times. Well, not to worry - You can give yourself a boost with some lemonade or a cooling drink - That will also help you feel fresh :)

7. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Nazreen. Taking a great meal at Lunch time will give you more energy so you can work for more.

You can try some drinks or cold drinks to refresh yourself too.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I do find apple juice refreshing and somewhat helpful, but it is not enough to make me feel as energetic as I do in the morning.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My main meal is still breakfast Fergal because that's the most important meal of the day. I always try to follow, "In the morning, eat like a king. In the afternoon, eat like a commoner. In the evening, eat like a beggar."

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I eat a reasonably big breakfast in the morning - cereal, toast, fruit, fruit juice and a cup of tea. Not sure that I'd be able for more than that early in the morning. I still feel the need for a dinner later in the day. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get fresh air, don't just move from your desk to the lunch table. Move around a bit and stretch and do something not work related in that lunch hour. Let your brain wander in another direction for a bit. I usually just take the dogs out awhile when I can fit lunch in and always feel better, rain or shine. (94 degrees here right now, rain would be lovely.)

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Fresh air and some exercise at lunch time sounds good, will definitely try that.

Kay, you can have some of our rain, we've had a bit too much of it in Ireland over the last couple of days.

13. Mynameis...

Mynameis...
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really this situation is the same as mine (for real). I am vigilant at early morning and late night, and after lunch I'm super lazy. Well, when I feel lazy after lunch, the best way to beat this laziness is to go along with it; meaning you should go a nap and don't be afraid. It really works for me. Sometimes, 2 minutes nap after lunch is like 7 hours sleeping in the night. The best solution is go nap, and I disagree with the choice about coffee, because it temporarily disables this laziness, but after this period is gone, you will get back to laziness.
    Moreover, I just wanted to say that in my country we say:
    "Eat dinner and walk, Eat lunch and have a nap." <but in my language, it rhymes and seems more catchy & true.>

14. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A brief NAP in the afternoon is the best available option ..However, I try to avoid heavy lunch during afternoon as it surely affects my productiveness...Also, don't sit or get yourself in relaxed position immediately after lunch if you are not planning for a nap..get alert and go for a brief conversation or walk instead after lunch..!!

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you really get a good energy boost from a 2 minute nap? Do you lie down for it?

My Dad would say "After dinner rest a while, after supper run a mile". "Dinner" in this case refers to the day's main meal in the middle of the day. And the phrase assumes that you will be working for the afternoon, after your nap.