Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace prize

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by seanstevens, Oct 9, 2009.

1. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why?

Seriously, what has the guy done? All he has done is his job as president, flying around the world meeting people. Personally I find this a complete joke.

I believe he has won the peace prize because he is not George Bush, not because of what he has done.

I like the guy and think he will be good for America and the world, but there are so many more people out there who have done more in 2009 for peace that him.

For me this is purely a publicity stunt by the Nobel committee to gain them some public support as they diluted the prize in the past few years by giving the prize to groups rather than individuals.

Sean

2. TheZach

TheZach
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm actually quite pissed that Obama won the nobel prize. He has made the US economy even worse. I think the people that vote on who wins the nobel prize should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

This is a very sad day in history my friends.

3. Shank

Shank
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess he got it for sitting on top of world's biggest N-arsenal or may be for planning to attack Iran.Even Nobel couldn't resist kowtowing to Americanism.

4. Digital

Digital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just now was reading this news in the newpaper, in the newpaper they have also written that, isn't that too early?
    what do you think?

5. tonmoy1001

tonmoy1001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i am also confused about this..what he has done to be rewarded with nobel prize??
    i think noble committee did not recognize what is peace??peace is not living is white house..peace is not controlling the whole world...peace is sacrificing your life for humanitarian activities...

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aw come on guys don't be so harsh on the President of United States :)

7. varundbest

varundbest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I think he has done a lot for peace in the world and what can he do bush has ruined the economy of united states and it will take some time for him to make it better but I don't think this is too much to get a Noble prize and seanstevens I agree it seems to be a publicity stunt by the Nobel committee to gain them some public support.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When I first saw this thread I honestly thought it was posted as a joke. I do like and admire Barack Obama but I don't believe he deserves this award. I heard him talking on the news yesterday and even he said that he didn't deserve it. I'd say that he's a little embarrassed to be receiving it. This decision brings some disrepute on the award, which is quite sad for the excellent people who have won the award in the past.

It's extremely difficult to understand how the President of a country at war can win the Nobel Peace Prize.

9. nitinkumar

nitinkumar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is just a public stunt. He just become president of USA 9 months ago. He denied to return back army from Iraq and Afghanistan. Even Trying to increase number of troops. Helping pakistan by giving them funds so that pakistan can create new arms. I think peace is in USA only so thats why he got Nobel prize.

10. videodroom

videodroom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe they hope, now he not start a new war?:)

11. nextmily

nextmily
    uix_expand uix_collapse

what? I agreed with seanstevens

what had been done by this guy?
    I think he make his pet didn't fight each other at his yard :D

12. Shank

Shank
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nobel prize is given for the past accomplishments not for the accomplishments to be done in future.They have honoured him presuming he'll do some wonders in future.If he will ,so would I,so why not give me a nobel.

13. Elomelo

Elomelo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, Obama himself has called it a "call for work". Yes, I think the Nobel committee has proven itself really discreet. Now Barak Obama will feel presure to work for world peace.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But there are some who doesn't believe about this Nobel Peace Prize on Obama.
    Many have said that it's too early o give him one. Plus, he's a guy that just became known after he runs for president.

15. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is true, but in my eyes this is what devalues the Nobel Peace Prize. It should be given out for work done that contributes to harmony within the world, not for what could and may be done. Doing this really makes the NPP a political statement and goes against everything it is meant to stand for.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with that 100%. Many of the previous winners of the NPP have made amazing contributions to benefit humanity. It's a shame that an award, held in such high esteem, has now been given to someone for what they might do in the future.