Balancing Home and Working at Home

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by mgorecki1982, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mgorecki1982

mgorecki1982
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there,

I am a single mother of 3. My youngest is 9 months and the next is almost 4. My oldest is 12 so she really doesn't interrupt to much. I have been trying to balance my new entrepreneurship with caring for my children; however, any time I sit down to work while the baby is sleeping the 3 year old wakes her up. I know that I am not the only mother trying to do this. So if there are any mother's out there who have had similar experiences and found something that works to help make things more manageable I would gladly give it a try. Thanks.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum mgorecki1982. It sounds like the key for you is to find something that keeps your 3 year old amused and occupied whilst you get on with your work. Do you think that toys, books, jigsaws or perhaps children's educational DVDs might work?

3. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've got two dogs at home who often want my attention. If I really need to focus, I could either close the office door or sometimes even go to the library. Of course in your case with toddlers, you can't leave them. So one trick might be to know when they are likely to be completely tired (napping or sleeping). These might be prime time periods to try and get a lot of work done when the kids are least active.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first thing you need to do is create a schedule and stick to it. Set aside blocks of time for you to concentrate your work as if you were putting in regular hours at an office. Try to create a workspace for your child with different activities for him to occupy himself and explain to him that Mommy has to do some work and he can do his work at his place just like Mommy. Try to keep your business communications when your children are around to email, this way you won't be distracted during phone calls. Split up your day that a few hours you will work during the day, and a few hours at night or evening time after the kids are asleep. Leave the more daunting tasks for this time as you will be able to focus and concentrate more during this period.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tracidb80

tracidb80
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be real honest with you, I only have one, so I cannot imagine trying to juggle three kiddos with any kind of work at home. I have my little girl in a child development program five hours a day. This may be a good solution to check in to child care for just a few hours a day.

• Like Like x 1