BAF default home page URL

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The BAF homepage can be accessed at either of the URL's below;

businessadviceforum.com
    businessadviceforum.com/index.php

From an SEO perspective would it be better if one of these URL's re-directed to the other?

2. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. For a more consistent user (and search engine) experience, it's preferable if there is only a single URL for any given page and avoid any canonical issues.

In the case of an "index.*" it's not a 'major' issue as long as the internal linking and external linking is consistent (i.e. neither of them refer to the index version of the page). However there's no reason not to do it, even if it's only providing minor benefits.

The major issue with this one is where sites use "mydomain.com/index.php" for the internal linking and then the majority of external linking points to "mydomain.com". Here there's a clear issue. Even employing a 301 in this situation isn't ideal (there is pretty clear evidence that redirects do cause a drop in link juice for most SE's, google have confirmed it to be the case) and every effort should be taken to keep things as consistent as possible.

3. TiaWood

TiaWood
    uix_expand uix_collapse

businessadviceforum.com is better because you never know if businessadviceforum.com/index.php will be changed into something else.

Redirecting businessadviceforum.com/index.php to businessadviceforum.com might end up in an endless loop because technically they point to the same location. My suspicion is search engines already know the difference between these two examples because I've never heard of site.com/index.* being indexed over the site.com version.

4. landau

landau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Paul, all links (internal and external) need to lead to the route domain. about the re-direct.. I have never bothered, and I doubt whether there is a benefit.

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ehhh? While they present the same information, the issue is that they're not the same location. They're two separate locations, hence the canonical issue that's caused.

Setting up a 301 redirect is accepted best practice and is advocated by all of the search engines (the only time you wouldn't 301 it, in best practise, is if you don't have access to do so [be it via htaccess, IIS manager, scripted 301s, etc.], in which case you should address the issue by means of a canonical tag so that it's still addressed).

Which ranks higher will be determined by various factors, many of which you're in control of. The problem is that you're not in control of ALL factors.

This isn't really a case of "which will be indexed/filtered", this is more about tidying up any potential conflicts, ensuring consolidation of links (the chances of someone external linking to the index.php version are low, but it can happen), wasting of indexing budget, ensuring a consistent user experience, avoiding any potential issues of a SE's automated steps making a mistake (filtering the 'wrong' version of a page) and various other issues it can cause.

I agree that in the majority of cases the benefits will be small, but for the sake of including 2 lines in your htaccess (or whatever method you use) it's something that should be done, in my own opinion. When something has no negative impact and has the potential for positive, while not taking up much time, it seems crazy not to employ it.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Our logo currently points to index.php, but almost everything else points to www.businessadviceforum.com. I'll change it so that the logo points to the same link as everywhere else and I'll also create a redirect from index.php to the main domain.

Bot of those domains have different Page Rank, so the search engines do see them differently.