Bad Website Company (help)

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by hen&stag, May 3, 2013.

1. hen&stag

hen&stag
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, please help

I have been running a business on a well known auction site for 3 years now and created my own free website.

As time moves on I decided I needed a new 'professional' one but didn't know where to turn so used a company that approves other companies

This was in October 2012....after carefully considering 5 proposals (or so I thought) I decided upon one which suited my budget and requirements.

Since then I have had 5/6 different people taking over the project resulting in a lot of confusion and mistakes, have made a large number of phonecalls & emails - sometimes with no response. My website is now lost somewhere as they are hosting my domain name- (I managed to get my free one on the 1st page of google) When you put my website in the search bar there's just a snippett & when you click on it it takes you to the well known auction site. I am so fed up and anxious, I have got in touch with the company who recommended them and are yet to hear back from them and still have no website!! I am now having no response from the website company & no recent changes have been made. This was supposed to have been completed in January.

I don't know where to turn, I also paid them up front

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum hen&stag and sorry to hear about the trouble you have had with your website. From what you say, it sounds as if the company you are working with are not going to provide you with a working website any time soon. You should probably demand your money back from them and start looking for another web developer.

What country are you based in?

Have you paid a lot of money over to the web developer?

3. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to business advice forum hen&stag, sorry to hear about the problem you had previously with website company. If you are still looking for web developing company let us know, I know few online who are very trustworthy and they dont charge much, also I do advice you that if its not to technical why dont you save the money and develop it yourself?

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Hmm as for your lost site is concerned which company was hosting you do you mind sharing? this would alarm other users of Business advice forum in thinking twice before choosing them. And also if you could name your hosting company we might be able to help you better on how to resolve it with them in getting your site back.

4. hen&stag

hen&stag
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I'm in England

It is a lot of money to me but not as expensive as others I've found (£1200)

Tried phoning a lot of times today but no reply!!

They have been building it and it's in progress, I don't want to name and shame yet but I will once all is resolved!!

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hen&stag Welcome to BAF.

Are you sure they are the right people whom you should have paid. Looks like a scam to me.

6. virt_train

virt_train
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi hen & stag, welcome to Business Advice Forum! When bad things happened, emotions will drive us to do something to hit them back,and I salute you for not naming the company. That is absolutely great when you still gave them the benefit of the doubt :).

On the other note, it may help if you set a timeline until when are you going to wait for their update. If they will still not update you, get all of your resources to get in touch with them. By the way, is this a local provider ? Did you sign any contract with them or any documentation to support your transaction? And if still things will not work out, then I believe it's time to move on. I know it costs some money and you can't help but feel bad but you have just to look this way : its a company loss, yes, but you learned the lesson. A lesson that can help you in your future dealings.

Lastly, if it is confirmed scam, then I think its time to share who they are to alert also those who may possibly be a victim.

7. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

£1200 is quiet alot ive seen proper professional sites done for £600-700 you paid to much and still they didnt fix things up