Bad Posture: How does it affect your work?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by NateAnglin, Jul 19, 2013.

1. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bad posture is pretty standard to people who work in an office environment. Have you experienced pain in your neck and / or back? How do you deal with these body pains? Does it affect your work?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I spend a lot of time in front of the PC and feel that I need to improve my posture. Although I do experience some pain occasionally, it is not serious and doesn't cause me any major problems. My concern is that a bad posture is inhibiting my breathing and having a negative impact on my energy levels. Recently I have started to do some yoga stretches, on most days, to help counteract the issue. Hopefully it will help, but it is too early to tell as of yet.

3. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We should always keep the back straight while working on PC's or at the time of sitting also.The bad posture bends the spinal cord and we find pain when we straightens our back again.To get rid of neck and back pains I do some yoga from that I get some what relief.You may also try it.Rotate your neck clockwise,anti-clockwise,up-down,left ,right for few seconds.

4. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a perfect example of computer-addicted guy but what's good I'm also sport-addicted so I feel no pain or any negative effects of sitting in front of a screen for half a day ;)
    Oh, sometimes my butt hurts after sitting for 3 hours when I'm a day after a leg day on the gym :p

5. Paul0130

Paul0130
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I relax at the desk my back seems to get tight and do my head in lol, other than that, touch wood, nothing too bad just go for a walk often

6. Delgado2009

Delgado2009
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I experienced strong pain in the back a few times but if you stretch your body properly your posture will improve 100%!

And also, if you can, adding swimming on your to-do list, will make things even better. :)

7. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bad posture does affect. You have pain and sometimes you can't walk. Maintain a good posture and do exercise daily.

8. Natcoweb

Natcoweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Posture means much and one has to do exercises to have it straight.

9. carloborja

carloborja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It strains and sores a lot of different parts of my body.

The effects are not that immediate but they slowly build up. Plus, you get the ripple effect. It will also affect your mood and all your productivity.

To all of us who are working in front of the computer, this tip from Mashable that I came across months ago might help:

I've been trying to perfectly follow this by the way.

View attachment 1746

• Like Like x 1
  10. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hear you Fergal. You mention "I do experience some pain occasionally, it is not serious and doesn't cause me any major problems." but then you say "...bad posture is inhibiting my breathing and having a negative impact on my energy levels."

My friend, breathing is life. That is serious. With out proper oxygen to your brain and muscles you become weak and fragile. Poor oxygen to the bran is also a contributing factor to brain fog. Maybe not serious now but life passes us by quick and serious issues happen over time.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Swimming is a great idea.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nate, I agree with you 100%, it is something I am conscious of at the moment and am making an effort to improve on it.

I was sitting in a waiting area the other day, the kind of place where you take a ticket, then take a seat and wait your turn. I could see my reflection in the window and was surprised at how bad my posture was. So, I put my feet flat on the floor, pushed myself right into the back of the seat and straightened myself up. Instantly I felt more energetic and "powerful". Perhaps "powerful" is not exactly the right word, but I was much more alert to what was going on around me and I felt more positive.

Posture is very important and it can have a significant impact on our mood and performance. When we are attentive, energetic, confident and positive, we are more likely to stand or sit up straight. It also works the other way round, when we have good posture, we can initiate and encourage those attentive, energetic, confident and positive feelings.

It also works the other way round, when we are feeling despondent and lacking in enthusiasm or energy we are more likely to slump. And, when we slump we are more likely to experience those negative feelings and lack of energy.

12. Santrex

Santrex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do as many as possible exercises to have a good posture.