Featured: Backpack - time management heaven

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I love Backpack. I use the free version and couldn't be without it because it keeps me on track throughout the day.

You can get up to five pages free then add notes, to do lists, reminders and a couple of writeboards for collaboration with someone if you want. (Your pages are private unless you choose to share them with anyone, and even then you need to give them a password.) You can have 2 users free.

My favorite thing's the reminders. Set one up and it'll send you an email reminding you to do whatever. You can make it one time or repetitive - daily, weekly, monthly, etc or at specific times. Best of all is the Firefox addon which lets you add a reminder to a page via a pop up box on your browser. You don't even need to go to the site. Just fill it in and it adds it for you to the page.

[​IMG]

I use this every single day. The lists are wonderful for organising yourself too. You can make a to-do list then as you check things off, it moves them to another part of the page under the main list. They aren't deleted until you physically trash them which makes it great for seeing what you've done in a day and you can edit them too. Even if you've already checked it off, you can put it back again on the list with a single click if need be.

There's lots of other features to Backpack but those are the ones I use all the time. I think you guys may like it too! There's no affiliation or anything, I'm just a big fan.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've watched the intro video and it looks great Kay, thanks for sharing.

Have you used Microsoft Outlook, how does it compare to that? It would be an excellent time management tool for anyone working from different locations, and who wasn't tied to a single desktop computer.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Backpack does have similar features with Outlook such as the calendar and reminders. I love their "Backpack Messages" feature. For Outlook, sometimes you have a lot of emails containing replies to a particular subject and sometimes it's hard to organize these. However in Backpack, there would only be one message and comments to this would be displayed below the message.

Thanks for sharing with us this wonderful find Kay.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've signed up for a free account and will give it a go to see if it can help me organise my online time more effectively. I've also added this thread to the featured personal success & effectiveness threads.

5. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Years ago I was a slave to a list. Life was not fun for me, 6 am to 7 pm, 7 days a week, 52 weeks per year, for several more years than I can about thinking.

Now, if I make a list it is on a scape piece of paper.

One woman I knew had to have her list, or she couldn't function. If she lost her list she went home and went to bed, staying there till the next list kicked in the next morning. Imagine losing your list at 10am and going home to do nothing but lay in bed.....

Scary thought.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that there should always be a balance in everything that we do. When it comes to work or business, there should be a set system that we need to follow. Without a system that we need to follow, sometimes our emotions get in the way and that's the time the we make mistakes.

But when it comes to hobbies, pastimes and other forms of entertainment or with life in general, I think that it would be good to be random. Having everything planned for everything will make things very dull and unexciting.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome. :) I haven't, no but am glad to see Nazreen could shed some light on that. It suits me for that very reason, because I'm often jumping between two here at home.

You're welcome! My reminders include things like "do you plan on feeding the family today?" as well as work ones. I nag myself. :D And one other thing I do is I don't click the reminder email when it comes in until I'm ready to do it. That way it stays bolded and stands out.

Good grief, I'm not obsessive about it like that! That's sad. I like that it gives me routine because when I'm online I find it very easy to get sidetracked by too many goodies. When I get lazy and don't keep it up to date, I'm a lot less productive. Works for me. :) Everyone finds their own way of working of course.

8. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seems to be good. Is it only browser based? Are there no download version for it so that individuals could still access their scheds, tasks, even without internet connection?

9. kailamilos

kailamilos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The title seemed to be a very appropriate one -- with this application, it seems like one will be able to deal with time management after all!

Thank you so much for introducing this to me. I have really poor time managing skills and too often I fall victim of procrastination. Also, I tend to forget things that I have to do or errands that I have to follow-up. I also like the fact that it is not just personal or work-related stuff that I can put in it but I will be able to combine both on the same page.

The only concern I have is that I won't be able to access it or it won't be able to update me if I am not with my laptop. Is there a mobile version of this?

10. lptprinting

lptprinting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use zoho crm. It's completely online and allows up to 3 free users per company. They have a whole plethora of free and paid apps which can increase productivity. I chose zoho because it allows seamless workflow between our 2 physical locations.