Avoid clock-watching

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Zantetsken, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Zantetsken

Zantetsken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A day at work can sometimes feel long and tedious, but it can also sometimes go by fairly quickly. Your day is more likely to feel slow if you're frequently looking at or thinking about the time. And because you'll be constantly disappointing yourself like that, you're probably going to feel less motivated to work. For example, if you work an 8 hour shift and you're thinking about the time within the first thirty minutes, you'll just be thinking, "Oh, man... I still have seven and a half hours to go." Then you might wonder if you're any closer to the end of the day and see that only two minutes have passed.

No matter how tempting it is, don't look at that clock, and try not to think about the time! Just focus on your work or think about something else if your work doesn't require much thought. But be careful about what you choose to think about - your efforts would be in vain if you thought about something you're eager to do and you ended up looking at the time.

If possible, try not to do the same work all the time. If you do something different (that you might not be as familiar with), you'll probably have to focus more on the task to make sure you're doing it right or you might even have to learn something new.

However, you'll still want to know when your breaks are or when to stop working... I personally have my cellphone's alarms set to vibrate at break time, so I don't have to pay attention to the time at all throughout the day.

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your example of an alarm clock is a very good one in order to avoid watching the clock while working. If you normally use a computer to work, you can also use the calendar in Microsoft Outlook to remind you when it's time for a break and also when it's time to leave for the day.

In my experience, people normally look at the clock during work hours either when they aren't busy or have a deadline to make. In either case, we'd just be adding unnecessary stress on ourselves. In all the places and offices that I've worked at, they've always put the clock on the side and not where people are normally facing when doing their work. I guess this also helps in avoiding clock-watching by employees.

EDIT: Is your new thread your entry to the 10 Sept 08 - New Thread competition Zantetsken? Better add your link there.

#2 Nazreen, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree that constantly watching the clock can be detrimental to our enjoyment at work. As Nazreen suggests there are times when it is important to keep an eye on the time. I suppose it depends on you frame of mind. There is a big difference between looking at the clock because you are constantly trying to cram more and more quality work into the time you have and looking at the clock to see how much longer you must stay there before you can go home.

I've heard it said about a particular very successful and well known Irish businessman that he looks at his watch every two minutes.

Some members might find this online timer useful.

4. Zantetsken

Zantetsken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh, it is, thanks for the reminder, Nazreen. At my workplace there are clocks where people can see them, and I often hear people saying things like "It's only 10:20?", as if to say time feels like it's moving slowly for them.

Indeed, if you have a deadline, it would be pretty bad if you relaxed too much and started to work at a very leisurely pace. Sometimes you do need to look at the clock to get yourself back on track, but, as Nazreen said, you should also avoid giving yourself unnecessary stress. Of course, some people work better under pressure, so it could actually be a good thing for them.

If someone with a clock-watching problem uses a computer at work, that online timer could be very helpful indeed. If possible, they should also hide their task bar so they don't look at the clock in the system tray.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you love what you do, then you will never work a day in your life. I think this saying also applies to this because the day passes by fairly quickly when you love your work, so you won't be watching the clock. People will normally tell you that fun and work are opposites by definition. This is only because, for them, they hate their jobs.

If you're already doing what you love - your passion, then you're lucky. If not, then I think you've got two options. The first option is to go find your passion. The second one is that if you're not doing what you love then try to love what you're doing and not just pretend of liking it.

#5 Nazreen, Sep 12, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great suggestions Nazreen. You could "act as if" you do like it. You may actually find that this gets you more involved in your work and that you will actually then begin to enjoy your work.

7. Zantetsken

Zantetsken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, you would certainly do better than if you had a poor attitude and were acting grumpy. However, I don't think lying to yourself will solve the problem. If possible, you should at least try to do work that you don't absolutely hate. In my case, I feel sort of neutral towards my job; that is to say I don't enjoy it, but I don't hate it either. Of course, a job that you enjoy would be best, but that can be hard to come by, not to mention it might start to feel like work after a long period of time.

If you don't enjoy your work, you could try to find a way to make it more enjoyable... For example, I was listening to some of my favourite songs while working today and the day went by rather quickly.

8. steppysteph

steppysteph
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes what I hate about my work is the inconsistency of workload. Sometimes I have tons of things to do but sometimes there is just nothing to do. During those times of nothing to do, I keep on looking at the clock and hoping it will go by faster. When I have tons of stuff to do, I also always keep looking at the clock but I get stressed all the more thinking that I do not have enough time to finish the job.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome back Steph.

You might find this thread useful, for tips on managing your time when you are not very busy.

I agree with you, work is much more enjoyable and the time goes faster, when you're busy.

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, welcome back steppysteph.

I often find that I do more work done when I slow down. When I rush things and think of my deadlines, I always tend to make more mistakes so I have a lot of rework to do and thus finish less work. The clock I think gives us added stress and I don't work well when I'm stressed. Since you're working more on your computer, why don't you auto-hide your taskbar so you won't see the clock on the system tray?

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Steph, are their other departments within your organisation that you could help out, when you are not busy with your own work?