Avast! Vs Microsoft security essential

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by robertyoung, Nov 4, 2012.

1. robertyoung

robertyoung
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys,

What do you think about this two anti-virus.

Avast! Vs Microsoft security essential.

Which is best for security?

2. J Greig

J Greig
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Tough question. I recently uninstalled avast (I was testing it) and I found it very good at stopping and catching viruses and attacks on my computer. However, the popups get extremely annoying when the software updates or detects a security threat. I am now using Microsoft Security Essentials and I am very happy with the service it offers. It runs quietly in the background, updates silently and has protected my PC very well.

So in my opinion, I'd use MSE. Not to mention it's free and usually free products aren't tht good, but I must say, Microsoft have done a great job on this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. psrb4u

psrb4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

MS Security Essential is free for use while Avast Internet Security is not free. I recommend Avast as this provide you with every type of protection both online and offline.

4. angelsharma

angelsharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Microsoft security essential, avast sometimes decreases your pc or laptop's performance.

5. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I personally use Quick Heal 2013, however I would go with Avast when compared between these two. Microsoft security essential is a kinda free application, but Avast is relatively better.

6. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If your PC is running Windows Xp still, then I highly recommend Avast instead of Microsoft Security Essentials.

If your PC is running Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, then I highly recommend you go with Microsoft Security Essentials. As others have said, Microsoft Security Essentials has a very small footprint on system resources. It runs in the background rather quietly. It does an excellent job on Vista and newer operating systems because of their already excellent firewalls.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion both Avast and MSE cannot fully protect you. I have tried both and had very nasty experiences. I prefer Kaspersky.

8. Ashwani Kataria

Ashwani Kataria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used both but system response time decreased means it slows the system processing. However both work well against the spyware and viruses.

9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I get the feeling that someone is monitoring my system if I use some free ones that aren't from GNU or from opensource community. I find MS becoming good with their newly released operating system starting from Windows 7, they are somehow not vulnerable to viruses unlike those days. I rarely use Anti Virus software with 7. but I occasionally do if I insert a usb from someone and I use ClamWin which is free.

10. vikaskumar11233

vikaskumar11233
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am using MSE on two laptops and one desktop with no problems at all. One advantage of MSE is it installs easily, updates automatically, does not slow down my computer and does not need to be registered each year.
    I have used Avast and it also worked very well but it does need to be registered annually.
    A disadvantage is that it tries to install other apps with the installation. That part I do not like. If I had wanted a browser plug-in I would download and install separately.

11. lewiskent

lewiskent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Microsoft security essential and avast are free antivirus programs for personal use. Both programs are designed in such a way that it will protect, detect and remove the malicious software from the computer. So, according to me both the antivirus programs are good.