Automatic Negative Thoughts - Dont let your ANT infringe on your creativity!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Dawey, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Dawey

Dawey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there! I read the thread "Why Some People Blame Themselves for Everything" and the great article on guilt linked there. It made me thinking about creativity and "Automatic Negative Thoughts" - ANT.

It is easy to let your ANT infringe on your creativity. When we drive our own business or projects, or trying to start something new, we will probably meet a lot of hardship. When things don't go as you plan, it's easy to get stuck in a way of thinking that everything you ever do will be wrong - just because you have had bad luck sometimes earlier, or something you've tried to do didn't work as you planned. If we realise how our brain function and try to understand our thought patterns, it will become much more easy to not get stuck in this kind of magic thinking, or getting ourself deeper into a depression.

According to research an average person has 45.000 negative thoughts every single day! So it's understandable and reasonable that it's easy to become paralysed, passive or depressed when things are not going your way. Just keeo in mind that they are just thoughts.

[video=youtube;6_gqMVGgnnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_gqMVGgnnw[/video]

How do you deal with your own mind when things are not going as you plan, or when something went terribly wrong? Why don't you share your story on what you did to keep you going on?

/David

BTW: some tip on related posts: "How to overcome difficulties in our daily life" and "State of mind is Very important"

• Like Like x 2
  2. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How many positive thoughts a day did the research show? Also what is considered a negative thought? Like if I think "It would be a bad idea to jump off this building" is that a negative thought? If not, why is it negative if I think "I shouldn't start this business." Maybe we are right and the business isn't a good idea.

I don't think the focus should be on the thoughts in that way. It should be on testing. Regardless if your thought is positive or negative, you should test to see what the reality is. The important point is not to make all your decisions based on only your own thoughts. You need more evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting video. He says that we should just let those automatic thoughts flow through our mind without grabbing on to them and that we should question or automatic thoughts. Do most people not already question their automatic thoughts? Did you change your behaviour or thought process as a result of watching this video?

4. Dawey

Dawey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@sayitproud, I will try to dig deeper into the sources, thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe. Good point anyway. If so, maybe we still need to have some reminders then and then?

Can only speak for myself. I have practiced Tai Chi for the last 25 years and as a complement to my studies, I have also been reading and studying a lot on how the mind works. So I have always tried to figure out my own brain. How much this particular vid gave me, I am not sure of. But I liked the vid because it's simple and to the point. Much similar stuff is just nonsense or gives very little of value.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome Dawey. Let us know what you find when you dig deeper. It is a worthwhile topic to consider when our thoughts themselves are the problem vs. when they are pointing us toward something else which is really an issue that needs our attention.