Assistance Needed

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by TheNova, Sep 11, 2011.

1. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

As of now I have the domain www.adminlair.com with MyBB set up on it. The forum got off to a very good start and while I enjoy running a forum, my passion lies with writing articles. I was thinking, while the forum is still quite new, should I change Admin Lair into a blog for articles and tutorials aswell as offering my own services?

I have plenty articles and tutorials ready to write up and I feel that if I get a good following, I can make this blog quite popular and if I am going to offer services, I could possibly make a little bit of money from it (even thought I'm not in it for the money).

I need your thoughts on this as the change wouldn't affect many people and I wouldn't be losing too much.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it always works out better when you follow your passion, TheNova, so I would say concentrate on the blog. You could always install the forum again in another folder later if you felt the need to revive it. You may find as you develop that following that they'll want a place to interact with each other. For now though, since you've not done too much right now and it's an easy decision to start afresh, it's a good time to do so. The longer you wait, the harder that decision will be.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree with Kay, follow your passion and create the blog on that domain. However, you could still keep the forum there on a URL such as adminlair.com/forum. That way you won't be letting anyone down and it might get some decent activity once you have started attracting visitors via the content on the blog.

4. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's very true, I've always told people to follow what they believe in and sicne I'm still quite new, I am 95% inclined to go with the blog option. I was considering putting a forum board under a different folder. My main concern would be whether to put it under /forum or forum.adminlair.com - Which is the preferred method? Either way, I am able to integrate WordPress with my forum, so there is no hassle on my end.

5. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're gonna go with the blog option then you should probably put it under /forum, as it won't be your main attraction to your site. Also you don't want to make it more difficult to remember your site by having to add things on to the URL in order to get to your site.

6. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If writing is your professional calling then i would go with it. As you said- it's what you're passionate about.

7. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One route to go might be to keep the forum and use your writing talents to create content that will drive traffic to your forum. You can use your writing skills to start to distribute articles/tutorials all over the web through the major outlets. If people enjoy your advice they may be more inclined to stop on by your forum to ask questions or learn more.

If you are looking to make a little money there are ways to write for third parties with the sole intention of driving traffic to your forum/blog while getting paid.

If your a good writer there really are a limitless amount of angles to take.

• Like Like x 1
  8. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd suggest you follow your passion but money is also a great factor. Rather than just pursuing your passion you should think about the money factor too. If you are sure that bringing a change to your website would also boost your income then you should start making changes right away.