Asking for more pay

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by leoforever77, Feb 3, 2012.

1. leoforever77

leoforever77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, so I am not sure what to do here. I just started working for an excellent company the first of Jan 2012. So 5 weeks ago. I am the new inside sales manager. I've never had experience in this area before, but they loved my personality and my past experiences, so I was hired. In the first interview, pay came up. I didn't do my research at this point, so I just blurted out a number and they took it. I've done research since and I've been listening to things and I am making wayyyyy less than what I feel I should be. Of course, they took that number, they probably felt relieved to accept such an offer. I want to approach the team about it. How do I go about this in an extremely professional way, or should I? Or am I just screwed until my review comes up at 90 days? Thoughts and advice please.
    FYI: I'm the only inside sales rep and will be managing more as we hire more once I learn my job. There are tons of outside sales reps and I'm making I know for a fact over 10k less than what the newest person is who was hired on w/ no exp. If that helps.

#1 leoforever77, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I wouldn't mention it until at least the 90 day review. Make sure that you are well prepared for the review - know what you are going to say and what you believe that your pay should be. Also, by that time you should be able to tell your employers some of the positive things that you have done for the company.

3. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, hopefully you will never make the mistake of not doing the research before making a statement. For now, I think you'll have to leave it for a bit and consult your boss when you get a positive response from him. Just tell him that you did some research about the job and you believe that you are not making as much money as you should.

4. ShyEntrepreneur

ShyEntrepreneur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you lost the upper hand by not having a benchmark going in. I would say that this could be worked into a raise if at 90 days you sell it as if you meant to do it. This wasn't your original intent so don't lie of course. Let them know that you know you came in low. You lowered their risk by lowering you initial rate to allow them to see what you are really made of. Now that 90 days have passed you impressed their socks off and now want to revisit the issue. If before the 90 days you can get a competing offer on the table from another business that would help. Letting them know someone else wants to hire you could result in a pay higher than they were originally willing to pay.

5. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also agree that you should wait before your 90 day review. You did make a mistake by not being prepared.

6. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should wait for that 90 days until the review and prepare yourself well on it. Make sure to take not of the achievements and goals that you have contributed to the company when you got hired and that prove to them that you are worth for the increase.

You may never know but probably even when you don't say it others know what you are worth of and what you deserve.