Argument on Twitter Leads to Alleged Murder!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Fergal, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An argument on Twitter between two neighbourhood friends has allegedly resulted in one of them being murdered on a New York Street and the other being arrested for the murder. It is now expected that the tweets passed between the two people involved, will be referenced in the murder case. This will be the first time that Tweets have ever been used as evidence at a trial for murder.

Read more on NY Daily News.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is this true? This is kinda shocking in the sense that one of the most visited social networking site resulted such a thing. I wonder if this will leave a stain on the reputation of Twitter.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a similar case on Facebook before. The girl changed her status to single then her boyfriend got mad and murdered her. :(

So is this the result of spending lost of time on social networking sites?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I feel that people are too quick to blame social networking sites when something like this happens. If two people have an argument on the telephone and one of them ends up murdered we don't see the media pointing the finger at the telephone company.

Why should it be any different when social media sites are involved? Social media sites provide a way for people to communicate with each other. The majority of people will use them in a positive manner and unfortunately a small majority will use them in a destructive manner. That doesn't mean the social media sites are to blame.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, I'm not blaming the social networking on this matter. This happens beyond their control.
    But we can't deny the truth that this happened on Twitter grounds..

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very sure. However, I'm not sure that Twitter should bear any responsibility or concern themselves over these unfortunate events. Twitter is like almost anything else you can think of in that it can be used for both good and bad. Are Twitter responsible for how people use their service? What do you think?

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think they should. Most service providers caters some of the damages to themselves since it happens within their grounds.

7. StevenF50

StevenF50
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats shocking