Are you naturally driven to succeed or do you push yourself?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm the kind of person who needs to push myself and make demands on myself and I'm sometimes jealous of people who appear to be naturally driven and energised by something they are passionate about.

Does motivation and drive come naturally to you? Or do you need to continually push yourself forward towards your goals?

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends what I am working on. I sometimes find myself driven to get something done and won't stop until it is completed and other times I have to really push hard to get myself in gear.

3. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to be an IT consultant and had to constantly focus on deliverables in order to keep in work. As I spent a lot of time on support and call outs I had very little time for breaks.

My wife thinks that I am a complete workaholic and I need very little motivation. Having large bills to pay and having your own business to run is incentive enough to keep me on my toes.

I usually find that being organised and prioritising tasks gives me a more productive way forward. Also having a photograph of my two young daughters on my desk makes it seem all worth while.

4. businessamateur

businessamateur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to have to push myself all the time. There was nothing that I wanted to do unless I really had to.

For the past few years, things have changed dramatically. I feel naturally driven to get things done. Its a good feeling knowing that once you really decide to do something, everything becomes easy.

I encourage everyone to believe in themselves. Nothing is ever as tough as it seems. You will be surprised at how much you can accomplish if you really wanted to!

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would KILL to be naturally driven! When I feel I'm spending too much time on doing the stuff that pays the bills and not much else, It depresses me. But then we've all got to eat! I'm much more driven about everything in my life when I feel I'm making the right choices and moving forward with my personal goals. When I lose sight of them, I'm demotivated. To get back on track I take some time out for my personal writing that I do for fun and nothing else, like my poetry.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, the responses are very interesting.

How did you make that change businessamateur? Did something inspire you?

7. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well i am not naturally driven, i have to push myself. I always start my day with the morning ah meditation of Dr.Wyne dyre, it is available on you tube and it has helped me focus better and perform better.

8. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am the same type of person like fergal. I need to push myself, but i can't. Any help?

9. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, i was not driven to success and i never push my self as well. I think I must say that my "Luck" do it for me. Whenever i have to finished or do something, it always come to a point that there was a blessing in disguise for me to accomplished my goal. Thats what i think. :)

10. LA Electrician

LA Electrician
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Motivation and Drive come naturally to me to a certain degree. I think everyone has it in them, but some people choose not to use them. I constantly push myself and make a mental note that if I start something, I must finish it. That goes for anything. I think it's easy to learn anything, but you must push yourself -- regardless of your natural motivation and drive -- to succeed and perfect anything.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Write down a goal that you really want to achieve - something significant and that would change your life for the better. Then write down all the actions you would need to take to achieve that goal. Put the actions into the order that you will need to complete them and then put a completion date beside each action - don't be over ambitious in terms of how much you can achieve each day. Don't go to bed at night until you have completed that day's actions. Give that kind of process a go and post back to tell us if it works for you.

12. shailagomez

shailagomez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a type of person that sometimes that I have to push my self for me to do the work, because I'm not interested doing those stuffs. And sometimes I naturally driven to do those thing because I'm interested doing that and motivated by many positive things and inspired. I think sometimes in order for us to push ourselves doing things that we don't want to do we have to think of positive motivational things for us to have the passion to do that and to be inspired.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a very positive approach. Are there any particular "positive motivational things" or thoughts that work for you?