Are you easily distracted?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, May 5, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Noises such as a ticking clock, sometimes distract me from my work and can cause me to lose focus. As an example, right now there is a gate rattling in the wind, that's causing me some distraction.

Are you easily distracted and do you have any tips for beating distraction and improving focus?

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm also easily distracted Fergal. Aside from that, I'm also a very light sleeper. Just the noise of footsteps or someone opening the door can wake me up.

For myself, what I normally do is to get rid of the distraction. When I was still sleeping in the same room as my sis, I always tell her to be as quiet as a mouse when she wakes up. I also put clips on our bedroom curtain so that it doesn't produce some sounds when it's windy or when the fan blows on it.

If that doesn't work or it's impossible to get rid of the distraction, then I limit the impact of the distraction by covering my ears while sleeping, or turning on my mp3 player while working.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm also a very light sleeper. How do you comfortably cover your ears at night?

4. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal,

Anybody is distracted from any noisy objects when they're not in complete focus. That means, you're not completely putting your focus at work. And when you're putting little focus, you get easily distracted.

So, to avoid distraction, here are some tips from my side.

- get serious with the work or project
    - avoid thinking other things than your work/project
    - sitting at the place where you feel comfortable
    - being careless to other noise like you mentioned tickling of clocks and care to work [putting focus, you can improve your focus by doing some focus physical exercise and yoga as well].

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd be very interested in hearing more about that. Can you provide any further details or links to sample exercises.

Different people work in different ways. I enjoy music but actually find it distracting when I'm working.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh Fergal, I can sympathise with you! I can't stand noise when I'm working. Right now for example I have a fan running about three feet from me and I feel like I'm in a wind tunnel listening to it. (We're at an unexpected 85 degrees today.)

I just got up and turned it off to give my ears a rest. Bliss! Music or tv, I hate them being on when I work. I need quiet, plain and simple. Even the birds annoy me sometimes. We have constant chirping with being in the country. It was cute at first but other times it's terribly distracting.

(Ever see Funny Farm with Chevy Chase? If not, get it out and you'll see what I'm talking about. )

On focus...Deadman makes a good point. One thing I learned when I took up meditation was how to tune out those kinds of noises before beginning. I think that needs to go back on my "me" time to-do list because it definitely helps, as does taking the time to listen to my relaxation piece.

Once I'm focused though, you can't get me to hear anything LOL. It's all or nothing.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, that just reminded me. If you'd be interested in trying yoga, there's a site that has free video classes called Yoga Today. This is the kind of thing I miss out on with dial up, because it's a new class every day that runs for an hour. Just watching them is relaxing. :)

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, that just reminded me. If you'd be interested in trying yoga, there's a site that has free video classes called Yoga Today. This is the kind of thing I miss out on with dial up, because it's a new class every day that runs for an hour and it's streaming video. Just watching them (it's filmed outdoors) is relaxing. :)

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, sounds good, I'll check it out.

I've done some yoga in the past, might be a good time to start doing a little again.

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I actually have 2 pillows and a bolster. I use those to cover my ears while sleeping. :)

Thanks for the link Kay. I'll look it up later when I have the time. Hope this will help improve my health and help cure or lessen my asthma.

11. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal,

Physical exercise related to focus are:
    - Yoga
    example: see www.yoga.com
    - A complete mediatation, relaxing your whole body, soul and mind.
    - Give complete rest to your eyes upon, they're to focus at objects.
    - Hear pleasant music at evening and morning that interests you/motivates you.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks DEADMAN, that link is not opening for me.

My focus isn't always as good as it should so I will try some of those exercises.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's worth a try Nazreen. If you'd be interested in trying something else more alternative, I'd recommend you give Reiki a try as well if you can find a local practitioner. It's also extremely relaxing. Fergal, you may like that too. In one of the first sessions I had I fell asleep during it. :D

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know if I ever mentioned this before and had to go find the site. Anyone tried a guided meditation? It's where the meditation is narrated to you with accompanying visuals and usually music too.

This one is fantastic, The Secret Garden. It has a 13 min free demo and honestly, it's excellent. Best done in the evening with the lights down low and a quiet space. You do need to register to get the download link but it's entirely free.

http://www.meditainment.com/free-meditation-content/

15. Radiance27

Radiance27
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No. I may have short attention span but I am not easily distracted especially if I am working on a serious project or business.

16. sahilbange

sahilbange
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there is no solution to this other than to have a perfect concentration sometimes there are things whose noise distract me but i simply try to overlook it or to stop it that is all we can do.when the work is important nothing else should matter.

17. jagoan

jagoan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't worry, that generally occurs to me as well. You likely have too much power in you. Take a walk/run and see if it helps.

18. supernova

supernova
    uix_expand uix_collapse

im mostly distracted and get annoyed in the morning because of the clock alarm..makes me really sick,..oh well, that's the purpose to get people wake up, there was one time i threw my clock really hard on the mirror lol (it was an accident0

19. tara

tara
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i am also a light sleeper but i overcome from it by taking bath before sleeping , it helps me a lot and chant gods name before sleeping you never wake up in between

20. shiki

shiki
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unfortunately yes. But I heard that most creative people get distracted easily because their brains are busy turning over new ideas, etc. Is it true? Cheers!