Are you a good boss?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by nichewitch, May 11, 2009.

1. nichewitch

nichewitch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being self-employed is a wonderful thing in many ways, but there are also drawbacks to being your own boss. For one, it is a lot easier to procrastinate when you don't have someone else looking over your shoulder. For another, we often are our own worst critics and expect much more from ourselves as an outside boss might do.

I don't believe that I started out to be a good boss but I'm getting the hang of it as I go on. How about you? Are you the best boss you've ever had or the worst or somewhere in between?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would say that I'm about medium when it comes to being my own boss but that I'm getting better over time. When you are self-employed it's sometimes easy to forget that you are in fact "your own boss" and you are responsible for directing your own work, disciplining yourself and setting targets etc.

I set myself a list of tasks to complete every day and record whether or not I complete them. This helps to prevent me from getting distracted and keeps me focused on what I should be working on to move my business forward.

3. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as the business go good,

being a boss is good and Of course a good boss!

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think this depends from person to person. Those who have great discipline are the ones who are better suited to be their own boss and start their business. A good example of this would be Roger Federer where he was even able to win tournaments without a coach. There are those however who doesn't have a lot of discipline and will usually slack off without anyone monitoring them. These are the people who are better off finding a job and working for someone else.

For myself, I think there's still a lot of improvement that needs to be done before I can consider myself as my own good boss. I need to be more motivated and be more disciplined.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's interesting that you should mention coaching in this context Nazreen. Self employed people are increasingly using business coaches and mentors to give them business advice and direction. This can be a good way for the business owner to soften the transition from being an employee to a business owner.

A coach or mentor can monitor your progress and help motivate you to keep moving the business forward. Every time you meet your coach, you would discuss your progress on working towards your business goals and agree on your goals and targets for the next meeting.

6. nichewitch

nichewitch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One thing that I have found effective is to join or form an accountability group. I am in a group where we have a private forum. Each of us posts our goals for the week and at the end of the week we report on whether we achieved those goals or not. Once you've made a public announcement, it's a great incentive to make that goal happen because you don't want to be the only one in the group who didn't finish.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being your own Boss after having worked for few years under another Boss, is what I think is right as far as my thinking is concerned. Since it in fosters in you many habits which pay you through out your life..@@

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Members are welcome to do that right here on our Goals Forum.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I find the biggest drawback of being your own boss is being able to change what you're working on at a moment's notice without having to justify it to anyone. I am very guilty of distraction and have to force myself not to do that. The net makes it all too easy to be sidetracked. But then I don't know if I'd want to be in an accountability group either. I'd want to do it for me, not to fulfill anyone else's expectations of me. Does that make sense?

I should be able to self discipline myself enough but if I'm honest I know I fall by the wayside sometimes and the reality is such a group would probably work great for me. Listen to me arguing with myself, geesh! LOL. I don't know, I think it would be like not being your own boss anymore.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've also been prone to getting side-tracked. Now, I make a list very evening of the things that I absolutely must do the next day. This has helped me greatly to improve my focus.

If I'm tempted to do something that's not on the list, I make a note of that something and add it to a future list. On any one day my priority is to complete the tasks on the list, regardless of what else comes to mind. It takes practice and discipline, but so far it is working very well for me. It keeps me working on what I should be working on, without going off on a tangent.

Kay, I can see your point but using an accountability group would not have to be like having a boss. You would still be in control of what you are doing and wouldn't be taking orders from anyone. You would simply be bouncing ideas off others, seeking motivation from them and returning the favor by sharing your ideas and motivating others.

11. nichewitch

nichewitch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An accountability group like I am talking about is more for those of us who get constantly distracted from our goals or procrastinate to the point that we don't get any work done. I have ADHD so I have a tendency to be too scattered amongst several projects at any one time. I can also get sidetracked very easily with things that are not important to my business and end the day feeling like I worked like a dog but find that nothing truly got done.

It's kind of like Weight Watcher meetings...lol. You don't want the whole group to see that you gained weight so it helps you keep on track all week. I'm finding the same effect when I report back at the end of the week in my accountability group - I don't want to be the one who didn't make any of my goals that week.

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, I tried your list before and am glad to hear it worked well for you. :) It wasn't enough of an ass whipping for me though long term. You're right about the group. I think the only pressure is of your own making now that I think of it since you set your own deadlines. Thanks for the food for thought.

Thanks for expanding on that, nichewitch. :) I'm sorry if I sounded critical. I didn't mean it to come across that way at all. As I said it would probably do me good and I know that "worked like a dog" feeling only too well. I just feel that right now I couldn't handle feeling accountable to any more people and having yet another thing to keep track of. Maybe I'll just run away from home. LOL. :D

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Using a chart on my office door, was a great help to me. It's very easy to create one using something like Excel. I have columns for Date, Done and Cumulative Days.

When I get everything on my list done on a particular day, I tick the "Done" box for that date. If I don't complete everything on the list, the "Done" box for that particular date, gets a red "X".

"Cumulative Days" is the number of days in a row, that I did everything I was supposed to.

Personally I found it surprisingly motivating, I don't like giving myself red X's and I don't like having to start my cumulative days from one again. It has helped me to improve my focus, no end.

14. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting topic and I agree it is important to have someone look over you to enhance effectiveness. However, on the other end, I'd like to add that when I want to work, no one can stop me and when I don't feel like - No boss can make me :) So, it all really depends from person to person.

15. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that those who work from their own homes are the ones who are more prone to distractions. In truth, the person working from home may even face more distractions than the one who works in an office. So dealing with all these distractions when working from home can be quite a challenge. Examples of distractions would be all the things that you see in the house like the TV, calls from friends, relatives and telemarketers, your kids/family, the laundry, or even a misplaced book that you suddenly feel like putting on the bookshelf.

In my opinion, I think the best way to get rid of distractions or not to be distracted with them would be to make one part of the house as your "official workplace". It would be good if this is a room so that you can close/lock the door when you're working. If you don't have an extra room, find one corner in the house that you can use and make sure that you're facing the wall and that it's the farthest from the TV or radio. But I guess that in order to make this work, you would still need to discipline yourself. When you enter your house's "official workplace", all you must do there is to work. In time, your body and mind will get accustomed to this and come to associate this part of the house with work.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree Nazreen, I've a dedicated office in my house and it really helps. I associate the room with work because I don't do anything else in that room.

It also helps if you turn your phone off, it's one less interruption.