Are these quality backlinks, harmful or just neutral?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by thedocoffice, Jan 6, 2016.

1. thedocoffice

thedocoffice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently ran a lookup of all my back-links. I used the "Small Seo Tools" back-link checker and it listed about 290 back-links. At first I was very excited but then I saw that many of them were from the same few sites and I started worrying.

Here are some domains of the results ( they are all .com but I didn't want to advertise for them.)
    • pagelearns
    • homepagewert
    • w3snoop
    There were some others but you get the idea.

In each case the domains are either "Domain Research Tools" or "Website Value Calculators" and in each case there are dozens of back-links to my site. The links are in lists of "Similar Sites" and "Recently Viewed"

My question is, will these sites impact my SEO negatively? They appear spammy to me but the listing is not directly within my control.

If they are bad is dis-avowing the best approach?

Thank you in advance.

#1 thedocoffice, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I checked all 3 of them. Pagelearns is a website analysis tool, HomePageWert is a website value calculator, and W3Snop is exactly what it sounds like - it allows anyone to enter a website URL and get all kinds of information about it. Actually, all 3 of them allow anyone to enter any website URL into their tool, which I where the problem arises. Someone entered your website in each of these sites, resulting in a link to your site. Pagelearns lists the most recently analyzed websites, HomePageWert lists the most recently valued websites, And W3Snoops lists the most recently snooped, and the most snooped sites. In every case, they link to the listed sites. This is probably where the links come from.
    Are they quality links? No. Are they "bad" links? That depends. You said that many of them come from the same site, but then you listed 3 different domains. Obviously, they are not from the same site, since the three sites you cited have different content and purposes. If all of your links did actually come from the same site, that would be bad. Also, if all of your links come from the same type of website, that would also be bad.
    So the next question becomes, what do you do about them? The Disavow Tool should never be your first choice, as Google will want to know what you have done to get rid of them yourself first - and they will want documentation. So, the first step is to contact the webmasters of the various sites and ask them to remove the links. Then, take a look at your entire link profile. If the vast majority of your links are coming from these types of sites, you're going to have to do some work to bring in links yourself. I won't go into the methods here because that subject has been discussed in other threads. If you actually have worked on getting links yourself, from articles, blog entries, and participation in networking websites, you may wind up getting links from others who are reading what you've created. That's the way it's supposed to happen. Once you've done everything you can to get the links removed or "no followed", and you have a link profile you've worked on yourself, that contains links from a variety of sources, then you can use the Disavow Tool, if necessary, to remove the rest.
    Your last question was "will these sites impact my SEO negatively?". When was the last time you checked your link profile, and your ranking? How long did it take for these 290 links to appear? Have your rankings dropped in that time? If you've violated Google's Webmaster Guidelines, Google will tell you. In the meantime, check your link profile and rankings over the same time period. If you notice a drop in rankings as these links appear, then the answer to your question is "yes".

• Like Like x 1
  3. thedocoffice

thedocoffice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for the excellent reply. To clarify a little there were about 6 different sites that had more than two dozen links each. They all were in the 3 categories that you listed or similar. ( Thank you for the extra effort of going to the sites ). Clarity of my original post was sacrificed for brevity.

My action plan is:
    • Monitor Ranking
    • Continue and Improve Quality Link Building Activities ( Articles, Blog Entries, Participation )
    • Watch for messages from Google.
    • Monitor Quality Link Profile
    • Seek removal if above start slipping.
    Thanks again for your response and detailed explanation.

4. Mackenize

Mackenize
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey I just started learning about SEO. Don't have much knowledge about SEO. But I well understand what is good or bad link. If you can find out relevant, high pr with PA/DA sites with good alexa but link there with unique content. I think that will works better for your website ranking.