Are there any blackhat techniques that people think are whitehat?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by GekiDan, Nov 20, 2012.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are there any blackhat techniques that people think are whitehat, and still use it on their sites' SEO efforts?

2. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Meta keywords and footer link, I spot lot of site still implement that. Most of the ecommerce like Joomla and Magento have a section to add keywords, so the user may fill in all keywords there.

Footer link, cloud with OBL and not relevant to user. At first I taught BAF is spam the footer link, after reading it attract my attention to visit those links.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How is meta keyword blackhat?

4. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that it is cloaking methods, some people are still think that it is legal

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Meta tags are cloaking methods?

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Meta keywords by themselves are not black hat, but black hat methods can be used in meta tags. For example, if a "Description" meta tag is nothing but a bunch of keywords, this would be "keyword stuffing, a clear violation of webmaster guidelines. "Cloaking" would be making content the same color as the background - the benefit of using this on meta tags is, I think, questionable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the SEOs are pretty much aware of what blackhat SEO is. It's really a normal scenario to see one using blackhat because they consider it as part of the game. Just like a man playing basketball using lots of foul moves and trying to avoid seeing by the referee.

The funny thing is this: there are bunch of SEOs today thinking what they are doing is good not knowing they are making themselves foolish.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How about hiding "spoiler content"? Would that also constitute to hidden texts?

Yeah, most SEOs know that. But not all people who own blogs or websites, as some of them are new in the field.

9. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Search engine optimization you will come across the phrases black hat, white hat and even gray hat. Dictionaries tend to define ‘white hat’ as ‘hero or good man’ and this expression was probably derived from the early cowboy films where the good guys inevitably wore white hats and the baddies wore black hats.

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

My expertise is not as extensive as some others, and I am not familiar with the term "spoiler content". I will say, however, that deliberately hiding content that includes desired keywords, so that it can only be seen by the SE's, in an attempt to increase your ranking, should be considered "black hat".

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Spoiler content is content that is hidden from the website viewer but can be viewed with the click of a button. It is a function that is sometimes used on forums to allow members to hide say a movie spoiler or a match result in a forum post, that way only people who want to see the content, will see it by clicking on a "Spoiler" button. It is a legitimate way of presenting content and the content is available to human site visitors at the click of a button. Hence, I don't see any reason why search engines would penalise sites that use it.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The spoiler content I'm talking here is the one when you add the BBCode, it shows the black text in black background.
    You won't be able to see the "spoiler" unless you highlight it.