Are search engines likely to appreciate changed pages.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by dannissmith20, May 31, 2010.

1. dannissmith20

dannissmith20
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have heard that the search engines do not like the pages that are changed. Obviously, we would like if they become more optimized. But, I want to know what do the SEO professionals think because they are constantly working with the search engines and the site. So, I thought that they would be aware of the latest trends and what actually the search engines are looking for. Frequently changing content is ideal for re-optimization? Your views will help me to take the right step for my site. If search engines don’t like this, then I prefer avoiding it. Any kind of feedback is appreciated.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Changing the nature of your site is something that can damage your search engine listings. For example, if someone had a site on say yoga that ranks highly in the search engines and then changes it to an adult type site, the search engines can view that as a manipulation of their rankings. On the other hand adding regular content updates, is actually good for your search engine ranking, hence blogs and forums often rank very well, within their niches. Does that answer your questions?

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I know, changing content is just fine. It's like updating your entry so that you will not make a whole new article for it. There are also times wherein the post you made are not accurate enough by the time you post it. After a few minutes, a more accurate info came and all you need to do is update it.

Search Engines really love updated content.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Both Fergal and GekiDan are correct, although I would like to clarify something that Fergal mentioned. It is not necessary to completely change the subject of your site to damage your ranking. Even if your site remained about yoga(to continue Fergal's example), but your pages were completely redesigned, your rankings could drop significantly. We had a client do exactly that in the middle of a marketing program, undoing everything we did for him, and his ranking dropped like a rock.
    On the other hand, as was said before, search engines love updated content. Not updating content at all could also cause your ranking to drop.