Are part time employees entitled to lunch break or resting breaks?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by V Maynard, Mar 24, 2011.

1. V Maynard

V Maynard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay so my business will require employees to work 8 hours a day. I have that type of business where I can't afford to have employees take any breaks, not even a resting break for 15 minutes. I need someone to work 4 hours straight, then another guy comes in and works 4 hours straight. NO BREAKS!

So my question is, "Is a part time employee, who works 4 hours a day, entitled to a break? If so this screws up everything. What about an employee who works 3 hours? 2 hours? Are they entitled to lunch breaks or resting breaks? I live in California by the way. I'm guessing there may be a law for this.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the country is fine if the worker work for half day without break/lunch. If the working hours is more than half day, then they entitle for the break and lunch. However, better call labour law department to confirm
    here is the contact - http://www.californialaborlaw.info/dept.oflabor.htm

3. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Sigma if they work more than half day,yes they deserve that resting breaks or lunch breaks.

4. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Part time jobs cant get anything such as lunch since it is not a full day job and it is only 4 hours job here.If you are working part time job on full day then i am sure you will get some rest.Here in our company we also dont give time to take rest for part time employers.I am working regular 6 hours a day without taking rest then think about me

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

V Maynard what kind of work will the employees be doing? For example if their work involves looking at computer screens they may be entitled to more breaks than if they are doing factory assembly line work.

Personally I feel that employees are more productive if they are given a short break than when they are asked to work for a long period without a break. I work for myself and know that I would get more work done in a morning, if I take some short breaks, than if I tried to work for four hours straight, without a break.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It highly depend on your country labour law, recently our country labour department just implement a new law to protect the part timer - For those part timer who are working more than 40 hours per week for the company, the company shall provide the same benefit as their full time employee.

So, whatever related issue or question, always call the labour law department to get the answer because sometime we might overlook some new rules/law.

7. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest maybe letting them have a little break. In my opinion, people work harder if they get their mind into it. Even a 5 minute break can get their mind cleared and ready to work.

8. elijahdobell

elijahdobell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4 hours requires no break for part time, and for full time workers (8 hours) a lunch break of course needed.
    But well it is important that you know your rights and law which varies to different countries.