Are Paid Press Releases Still A Thing?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by OhioTom76, Jul 29, 2015.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yesterday evening, I sat through a live webinar from the creators of a popular article spinning service, who were now pitching another service of theirs to push out press releases from your site to hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of different sources, comparable to services like PRWeb which cost much more.

They argued that this method is much more effective than traditional link building and showed a number of examples where they were able to in effect piggyback on the authority of higher traffic news sources, to indirectly get top rankings.

In other words, instead of trying to get their site directly listed on the first page of Google SERPS, the press releases they were issuing were getting picked up by popular news sources who in turn were getting first page and/or top rankings for a given search query you may be targeting.

So it's not a "direct" top listing in Google - the news site itself would be ranking #1, but when the visitor goes to that article, they will see you mentioned in the article and possibly visit your site.

Of course this all sounded too good to be true, and after doing a little research on some of the popular marketing blogs, I saw some mentions that Google had been cracking down on press release spam as far back as a year ago.

Can any of you confirm if this method is even still remotely effective?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

There are two reasons why I would not recommend using this service. One, it comes from a "popular" article spinning service. the only reason it's popular is because unethical providers are still recommending it to people who don't know any better. Even though there are some people who say article spinning has "improved", I would rather see a well-written article written from scratch than an article copied from someone else. Two, they push out your press release to "hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of different sources". There's a reason why more expensive services don't do this - they are smart enough to know better. Google and the other major search engines would rather see quality links, not "thousands" of links from the same article, created specifically to manipulate the search engines.
    If done properly, like the more expensive syndication services do it, press releases are still effective. Done wrong, as this "popular" service does it, they are not.