Are Computers Addictive

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Barney, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Barney

Barney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are computers addictive I do not mean playing games, but do people spend more time on computers for work then they need to? If they are how can we rectify it? I know people who would not take tea breaks at work saying they had no time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sanjuk61

sanjuk61
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not computers addictive. I am social network addictive...

3. Barney

Barney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is what I meant do we spend to much time doing meaningless work and wasteing time and energy

4. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not the computer that is addicting, it's the internet. Without it I wouldn't spend any time on my computer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Quiver

Quiver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree. Without the Internet what use is there for a webmaster? ;)
    A webmaster primarily works online, which of course requires the Internet.

6. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Absolutely!:) I would probably use it for Notepad though. lol I like to write ebooks, books, etc.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Jerlene why do you use Notepad for writing ebooks? Would you not prefer use something like Microsoft Word?

8. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like Jerlene said, it is primarily the internet. At least that is what I think.

The main reason I think they are so easy to waste time on is because they serve a useful purpose that we would never feel guilty about while also serving many less useful purposes too.

Basically, we don't feel guilty about sitting down to do work on our computers. In fact we feel like it is a smart and wise thing to do. Yet, instead of doing the work that we know we should be doing, we come to places like this instead or go to Facebook or recheck our email or go look for a new podcast or something else that isn't really important. All the while we are screwing off, we don't feel guilty because after all, we sat down at the computer to do some work. Then a few hours pass and we realize that we only got about a 1/2 hour's worth of real work done during the last three hours. We feel a little bit guilty, but not enough to alter our course of action the next time.

So next time, we do the same thing like a drunk who can't put down the bottle.

Speaking of which...... I really need to close my browser and get back to work..... Well..... maybe I'll check my email first......

• Like Like x 1
  9. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Am I computer addictive? Help me define it. I'm a workaholic person, and my work needs computer. Computer made my tasks easier, more manageable and more accurate. I can do lots of multi-tasking with 1 computer. I also hang around on social media sites, and without computers, I wont be able to log in unless with smart phones or tablets. So I think I'm addictive with work and social network sites, it just happen that I have to use computers.

Addictive to computers means a computer enthusiast, computer collector something like that, and I'm not like that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. helloii

helloii
    uix_expand uix_collapse

helll they are

11. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think a Computer without Internet is useless. As we know the Internet world today is of Social networking like facebook. People spend lots of hours in facebook uploading pics, liking, commenting and also playing games. A computer without internet can be useless for PC gamers, designers. But for us, we use internet for social sites, even for Enews and enjoy watching videos in Youtube. Comuters w/ Internet is surely addictive, I believe.

12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I completely agree with Jerlene..Its the internet that is addicting not the computer itself.. You have so many things to engage yourself over the internet..very little in case of computer.... That is another point , if you are a gamer, then definitely still games are addictive not the computer...

Computer is just the means..Services and way we use computer are the real culprit..