Are big companies going to buy this great idea? (tech innovation)

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by dave3, Oct 2, 2011.

1. dave3

dave3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are big companies going to buy this great idea of mine? (tech innovation)

I have an idea that will make it impossible for a hacker to steal an account. It is simple, and cheap and easy to implement. I am in the process of filing for a patent.

My question is, will big companies, such as gmail, hotmail, facebook, and many others, license my idea? An experienced businessman has told me that they will only use technology that they themselves have developed, and they will not go to sources outside their company, even if the technology that i am offering is better. Is this accurate? thanks

Also, how much do you think this is worth? I would probably charge per account. How much is it worth to the average person, to protect his account from hackers (it probably won't prevent hackers from getting in to the account, but in the event that a hacker changes the password, it would allow the account owner to recover his account and lock the hacker out. I would probably pay up to a dollar a year for this kind of security myself, as many thousands of accounts are hacked every day....)

#1 dave3, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

probably not true. if its better than what they're using today, they probably will buy it.
    but they will still rely to their existing one and probably be hacked before they will try to look into something better. :D

3. dave3

dave3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think his argument was that since these companies are already spending lots of money to hire people to work on this very issue (of account security), they aren't going to be inclined to then go and spend money to buy the solution from elsewhere

4. dave3

dave3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

btw i tried to edit the title of this, but it didn't show up on the general business advice forum page. Is this a known bug?

5. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HTC agree to pay patent technology fee to Microsoft; Google buy over Motorola; HP buy over palm. All because of patent technology, with those patent technology they have more bullet to fight in mobile market.

It is possible for Google or Apple to buy over any potential technology, it is a shortcut to get such technology. They save money and time for R&D, patent technology is an assets.

6. MrPolarZero

MrPolarZero
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with this. They probably will but they will still need to rely on their own software's. If they get hacked and their software failed they might buy yours if you can prove that yours is better.

7. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you produce a product that as you say will be impossible for a hacker to steal an account, then if you market it properly there is definitely a possibility of the big companies having an interest in it. Although if it really is that good you won't need the big companies as you will have plenty of small companies that would be willing to give it a shot.

8. dave3

dave3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True, but dealing with many smaller companies means a great deal more work for me. One deal with gmail, third biggest email provider in the US with about 200 million accounts, will make me as much as 400 deals with small companies that have half a million accounts each, but with only one hundredth of the work needed to make that one deal with gmail. So i really want those deals with the big companies, because it means much less work, and much higher revenue as well.

#8 dave3, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  9. MikeReed

MikeReed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So you're going to sell a service to hack accounts of members on sites? Good luck getting past some of the site security, and if past, good luck in court.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Mike, Dave is actually working on a security application that helps people to protect themselves against hackers.

11. dave3

dave3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's correct, i guess Mike must've misread something...