Approaching Producers in US

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by AdrianaW, Oct 13, 2015.

1. AdrianaW

AdrianaW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I am working for an app development company in Mexico where we will provide a platform for animal shelters to recieve donations, however, the donations will be exchanged for goods (food, grooming products, etc) from an online catalogue.
    We are planning on launching both in Mexico and US and we have established good communication with the Mexican suppliers and already have many on board. However, negotiations in the US are so different. I have tried to get in touch with representatives from the animal food industry at no avail.
    It is hard for me to explain that we don´t wish to be a distributor. We only want to a supply channel for so the shelters can redeem their donation balance.
    I guess the business model is not as attractive to them. Though we offer volume sales, this is not Walmart (which is the type of channel they seem to be interested for obvios reasons).
    Does anyone have any advice for me?
    Thanks

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

How have you approached them? By that I mean, what have you said when you asked them to provide goods? Have you tried approaching the retailers themselves? Either way, they are going to want to know how providing goods to you will benefit them. The other question is, which animal donation organizations will be benefiting from the use of the app. If these are organizations the suppliers have never heard of, they will want to know how reputable these organizations are - unfortunately, in today's world, with the number of charities that ask for help, this is necessary.

3. AdrianaW

AdrianaW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for answering. I have approached them in various ways. It´s a bit difficult as we are not a retailer but, let´s say, we are a different sales channel that will be available for the shelters only (we are not looking for free stuff, we want the producers to sell their goods on our catalogue). We haven´t contacted retailers yet as we need the most affordable prices we can get as it needs to be worthy for the shelters.