Approaching a retailer

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by morrow, Oct 12, 2011.

1. morrow

morrow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I am just starting to sell some hand printed baby clothes wholesale. Our website: www.thecloudmachine.com . I was planning on walking in cold to the retailers, mostly baby boutiques. My thoughts were that it would be harder to say no and that the product has a slightly better presence in person. My other options would be to call or email first and try to setup an appointment. Any thoughts?
    -Justin

#1 morrow, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I would definitely call first, to set up an appointment. Don't email, because unsolicited email is considered spam, and may not get read.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Where are you based Justin, there are cultural differences which make it easier to simply walk in to a store and try and sell your product in some countries, though personally you would have to work very hard to stop me getting personally annoyed at that approach.

Definitely don't send a 'cold email'.

• Like Like x 1
  4. morrow

morrow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am based out of Portland OR I feel a lot of the store owners here have a desire to support local designers.

5. luch

luch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I say call first to set an appointment as well. Prepare a personalized call script that would be "service oriented" rather than "salesman oriented". Keep in mind to always that your goal is to get to the decision maker of the business. This would usually be the GM or the Director. Good luck.

6. Ronald Williams

Ronald Williams
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There’s seldom a second chance. You should not approach your mass retailer buyer if you are not ready to do business.

Entrepreneurs often excitingly send proposals to their key buyers only to never hear back from them. When they then try to catch their buyers on phone, they can’t reach them. Such entrepreneurs often feel left in the dark with uneasy disappointment. What did they do wrong? What’s the better way to win over the buyers?

7. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hm...all depends on the situation, sometimes you should e-mail before calling to be more polite.