Application Rejection Letters

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by GNCS, Feb 2, 2010.

1. GNCS

GNCS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello All,

I have been running my own small business for a couple of years now, with the only employee really being myself. I was recently offered an excellent expansion opportunity from one of my clients, and I am in the process of seeking resumes to determine whether or not this is something I can proceed with.

My question concerns the sending of application rejection letters, and how specific is acceptable.

In these times of economic crisis, I find there are many jobseekers out there who are sending out applications everyday and quite often never hearing a reply. As someone who although self employed, was also seeking part time supplemental work, I can understand how frustrating this is.

Being on the other side of the table now, I can also see how frustrating hiring an employee can be. I would estimate that out of the 50 applications I have received, at least 35 of them, possibly more, did not follow the basic application instructions.

As the position I am hiring for requires exceptional attention to detail, I feel this is a critical failure on the applicants behalf and immediately move them to the rejected pile.

My internal debate I guess you could call it, comes to the rejection letter. I feel that as an employer, it is partly my responsibility to help educate potential employees and offer them some guidance. As a small business owner, I have the time and ability to do it, so why not. If for every 100 resumes an applicant sends out, they never hear any feedback, how are they to know whether the flaw is with them directly, or simply due to economic times and they are competing with hundreds of other qualified applicants.

Sure there are companies out there that can help with this, but I dont think they really look that closely to anything more than how to write a resume and cover letter. Its similar to the idea of employers only willing to hire candidates with experience, yet noone willing to help provide said experience.

It is for this reason that I think sending a specific rejection letter, advising the applicant why they are not being considered further would be a good idea. Where I get stuck is on the wording. I do not wish to be insulting or rude in any way, I simply wish to express that following the directions of application was a critical test of their ability to perform the job, and as they did not do so, they cannot be considered.

Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or samples to offer?

Thanks in advance!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's very considerate of you to think about helping everyone who has applied for a position with your business. Personally I would say that this is unnecessary and that your time could be better spent working on your own business and focusing on the people who made strong applications and that you want to consider for the position.

If it was me I would send out a general rejection letter or email to all applicants that are not being considered for the position. I would tell them that they have not been successful at this time, you will keep their details on file for future reference and that you wish them every success with their future career.

Some of the people who receive these letters will contact you asking for further feedback. Because they have made an effort and shown some initiative by contacting you, I would do my best to help these people as much as possible and to give them relevant feedback. As the others have not asked for feedback or taken the initiative to get suggestions for future applications I would not be in a hurry to spend my valuable time giving them information that in reality they may have no interest in.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I've applied for jobs myself. If I wanted feedback on a rejection I asked for it and never expected anyone to got out of their way to educate me, if I didn't ask for their help.

Your most important task right now is to hire the best candidate for your business and to integrate them into the business as successfully as possible. good luck with that.