Anything we don't have a good way of selling on the internet in the year 2013

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by dgeneschi, Feb 21, 2013.

1. dgeneschi

dgeneschi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been away from here a little while. Forgive if this is a somewhat abstract topic but it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I was asked a little while ago to work on a yield management app for the fitness industry (gym classes). It got me thinking that my ideal sort of business would be one that injected itself into a commercial exchange, which has had me thinking lately about what sorts of commerce have not been brought online for one reason or another. Maybe there really aren't any, but as lots of you run small businesses, I thought this would be a helpful/insightful thing to discuss. I suspect that if there are categories of products/services that haven't been brought online (or at least not successfully) it's because they are very high price and low volume (like real estate transactions) or of very narrow interest. Is there some commercial process you know that should be brought online but hasn't successfully been?

2. dgeneschi

dgeneschi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Relatedly, thoughts on product/service categories that don't have a de-facto yield management aid (FYI: I don't have a strong formal background in economics, so that may be the wrong term: what I'm talking about is a de-facto way to move un-purchased/expiring inventory).

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think that there can be things which have not been brought out online in this digital age ...it can be possibility that sellers may be few, there process are not open to general public, but they have their presence online in some way or other....

4. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm thinking if it can be done online then it's already being done online. There's a few things that aren't done online, say in Japan you have the morning fresh fish on the docks, but there's a reason for it. You can't do that sort of thing online and bringing it online would be entirely useless other than perhaps having an online inventory of which fish are currently in stock. -- But yeah, if it can be done, it already is.

If you just want to get rid of expiring and old stock, auctions. I've always gotten more money at fixed prices because I don't sell things that are super high demand but if it sits for a while then an auction basically guarantees that stock will move.