Anyone use voice recognition software?

Discussion in 'Apps & Software' started by Kay, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not being the fastest typist in the world, I've thought a few times about how nice it would be to have one of those talk-to-text programs which types up the audio. It would be great for webpage content and blog posts I think because I often write it longhand first before typing it up if it's a lengthy piece. My brain just seems to work better that way. Anyone tried any? I downloaded one freebie one to try but didn't like it.

The only (paid) one I see that gets reviewed much is Dragon Naturally Speaking but I can't for the life of me find a trial of it. While it's not a fortune (the Standard version is $99), I'm not willing to buy something at that price without testing it first. Just wondering if anyone's used it at all or any other kind.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm reasonably quick at typing and am used to writing that way, hence I've never tried speech recognition software.

Kay have a look here for a Nuance free trial, I'm not sure if it has what you are looking for.

If you do use the software, please post back to let us know how it works out for you.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal for posting that. I looked at it and it's for a mobile phone apparently, and converts text-to-speech rather than speech-to-text. I appreciate you taking the time to have a look for me though! :) I'm still keeping an eye out.