Featured: Anyone - teach me how to think outside the box?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by 50Cent, Aug 23, 2010.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does anyone can teach me how to think out of the box?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent, have you ever used Mind Maps? They are really simple, all you need is a pen and paper and they could work very well for you.

3. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get any of Edward de Bono's books on thinking and you are bound to pick up some creative and lateral thinking or visit http://www.debonogroup.com/ for some tips.

4. shailagomez

shailagomez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello I'm Shaila. You can read a lot of books to have many ideas and to think well. And any article that would help you to think broadly.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thinking outside the box is about looking for solutions or ideas that aren't the obvious paths to take. Brainstorming is another way to do that, either alone or with friends. The key is to not reject any ideas right off the bat, just say them and write them down no matter how silly they sound. Let yourself go off at a tangent and don't restrict your thoughts. Sometimes that silly one's all that's needed to spark an even better idea.

Here's some light reading for you to keep you busy for about a hundred years. When you're done with this lot, you'll be able to come back and teach us! :D

100 Online Brainstorming Tools to Help You Think Outside the Box

6. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah i tried it before. Then how can mind-map link to think out of the box?

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One way you can use a mind-map is that you can free associate. Free association is a technique where you just say the first thing that comes to mind and go from there. With a mind-map, you can jot down the ideas and phrases/words that come out while you're doing so.

You can also make them online. I think I've mentioned bubbl.us before. It's free, dead easy to use and the good thing is you can save and share any mind-maps you make.

I'm wondering if perhaps our explanations of what thinking outside the box is aren't adequately expressing the concept. Try this article that has examples and see if that helps clarify it more.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Using mind maps is a great way to come up with creative solutions for solving problems and achieving your objectives. It helps you think of solutions that you would not otherwise have come to mind, which helps you to teach outside the box.

Have mine and Kay's responses have clarified it for you?

By the way Kay, http://bubbl.us/ is not currently opening for me.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, would you mind trying it again? I double checked it last night before posting the link as I'd not used it myself for a long time and it was fine. I looked just now and it's still okay at my end.

Here's a thumbnail for an example they have up. It's all about the Features:

[​IMG]

You can see a bigger version at the source page. It has a zoom button at the top left or you can just use a mouse wheel.

This is the homepage description:

You don't need to register to try it. You just hit Start Brainstorming.

#9 Kay, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, it's opening for me now. It's a great resource, thanks for sharing it with us.

11. MatthewOlszewski

MatthewOlszewski
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure what you mean by talking about outside the box. If you have a problem with making some decisions and you don't know what to do, good idea is to image of yourself as an observer of some situation. Considering in your head different variants of the situation as an observer, you will be able to relate better to it. You will be more objective.

12. abby

abby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

they are lot of puzzles for think out of box. Try those because it is basic of all.
    Think smart so you get lot of ideas for any kind of problems.

Another way interlink all of those related products in mindmap, if you can then you get lot of ideas.
    One more way is after interlink, you will find some of those non interlink between two products. just filter those
    and take a keen note about pros and cons of two. Then give a solution to that problem. this will helps to get new one. (Even if you think out of box, the final destination is these)