Anyone read Personal Development For Smart People?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Onionman, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Has anyone read the above book? I've read Steve Pavlina's site a bit in the past and fell upon his book the other week. I downloaded on Kindle and am reading while on holiday.

Most personal development books make big promises but so far I'm pretty impressed with this one - fairly no-nonsense, easy to read and has a coherent narrative. Has anyone else read it?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to admit that I haven't read it or even heard of it for that matter but I'll definitely have a look.

I'm not really a big fan of personal development books and videos, like you say, a lot make these big promises that they're going to change your life but they nearly always fail to deliver.

3. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Part of the problem with some of them is that they can be preaching to a specific crowd, and yet provide concepts that can be conflicting with another well-followed approach to personal development. It's like weight loss gurus preaching about the best dieting approach being a high protein diet, while someone else says a low protein diet. Pavlina tries (and I'm not through the book enough to work out whether he succeeds) to address these types of conflicting approaches.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We have some training in the office as part of our management training course (for those who would be promoted to managerial position). One subject is about being smart. It begins with the posture followed by the clothes you wear and third is the movement particularly walking. With being smart, it cannot be taught, said the trainor, but looking smart can be thought. So there, if you cannot be smart then at least try to look smart so people will think you are smart.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm an enthusiast follower of Steve Pavlina, and besides having this book among my favorites, and to whom I discovered through the use of my favorite edition software, The Journal.

This software is to me a better alternative than Microsoft Office's Word to do my freelance writing job, and while most of my clients requires the job done to be delivered in Word format, thing that I do, The Journal allows me to archive my articles in an organized manner, besides having Steve Pavlina journalism writing templates at hand to do my job more efficiently.

Steve has a page dedicated to talk about these writing exercises and the software itself, straight right here, http://www.stevepavlina.com/the-journal/

These writing/reading tools are a great deal altogether when it comes to personal and professional development.

6. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks - I'd never heard about The Journal. It could be another very useful efficiency tool for me to use, and particularly for organizing my writing. Mr Pavlina clearly has his hand in many different areas of the personal development space.