Anyone Out There Podcasting?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by OnlineBusinessZen, Sep 6, 2010.

1. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did a quick search on podcasting here but did not see much posted recently.

I'm just starting out with podcasting as a way to build an audience for a new site, but I was wondering if there are any experienced podcasters out there who could share their success or failure with podcasting as a site/audience building technique?

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yep it can be a great way to give people useable info. Record podcasts and distribute them. I use articles in blog, podcast and video (rework) and distribute all 3 which seriously increases your audience and reach.

3. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've thought about it, but it's a lot of work. Recording, editingand uploading all of the good stuff is just too much work for me when combined with my daily work.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Tecknowoman what software or tools do you use to create your podcasts?

5. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just started (posted first episode recently) but I use Reaper for editing which is a bit of a sound-geek program. I picked it because I needed a program that could record multiple channels off my firewire mixer and did not want to shell out $300+ for audacity.

What I really like about it is the ability to define a set of sound effects for each channel and mix them when rendering. I originally started with Audacity which is a very nice free program, but to process an episode I had to perform a edits to add effects one at a time every time I wanted to make a change.

What Reaper lets me do is define effects for each channel or the master mix and adjust those as it is playing to perfect them. Then once I have these defined I can set up a template for future shows where I literally just render each show with the same set of effects in one step. It gives me consistency from recording to recording and it is very fast. Also it does non-destructive editing so I can go back to the original recording at any time.

So while the learning curve was steep, rendering a consistent sounding show is now very easy.

Cheers,
    Brad

6. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No podcasts yet. Have just done my first video blog, a very informal one for a couple of networking sites. I am planning some podcasts for a later date. I know a voiceover artist who does these properly for a monthly fee or set price so will get them done by a pro.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that OnlineBusinessZen.

Sounds like a great idea Sean, it will save you investing in setting up and learning the software and free up your time for other areas of your business.

8. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do 2 things - one is to record in Garage Band and the other is to strip out the audio from video -nothing fancy or flash.

I have used buzzsprout and some others to host and distribute them. Basically though I just do it all at my desk through my laptop.

9. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have a link to your podcast? I went to the link in your signature but did not see an obvious link to the podcast.

Thanks,
    Brad

10. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah sorry about that I have 60 or so websites and upload, distribute, move around podcasts. Been having a reshuffle so don't have an active link on either of those sites. Also forgot my main hosting service is Amazon EzS3 which I use for vid and audio. Off to a workshop for a few days so won't have time to dig out links for you to any podcasts for about a week.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't do it yet but would love to someday so am really interested in how others do it and have learned from the process.

I liked your broadcast, Brad! You would never know you were new to that. :) You have some excellent ideas for the format of the show too. The questions part in particular is a great idea.

Guys and gals, it would be nice if you could take time to listen and support Brad in this endeavor. :) He was too modest to share the link, so I'll do it for him. :D

http://onlinebusinesszen.com/2010/obz-episode-1-just-starting-out/

Brad, I have one suggestion. The phone number you supplied for questions - is that a free call number? If so, I would add that information. You could also add a free Skype contact number where they could leave you a message too. That may encourage more calls as well as they won't need to figure out the long distance or international dialling codes.

ETA I just realized I have two suggestions actually. :D Adding a transcript of the podcast is useful too.

#11 Kay, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  12. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kay,
    Thank you for the kind comments about the first show - I am still a bit shy about it since its hard to brag much after just one 20 minute episode. I learned a tremendous amount just getting to this point, however, and I'm using the lessons in building a video training series I just started recording this week.

I hit a new milestone this week when iTunes accepted the podcast just 2 days after I submitted it. It was very cool to see it listed in the iTunes store.

The phone number is not free, but it is tied to a skype account "businesszen" which I'll be sure to mention in the next show for those going long distances. If you leave a message with a short question via phone or skype, I may even play a clip of your question on the show. Be sure to mention your site.

I'm getting ready to hire a VA in the next month or two so perhaps they could do transcripts for me.

Episode two later this week...

Brad