Anybody Here Getting Something Out Of LinkedIn?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Clint Cora, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm starting to understand Facebook and even Twitter but for LinkedIn, that's another animal. Although I've got around 1200 connections on LinkedIn, and continue to get requests, I'm not doing a lot on it. I do belong to quite a few LinkedIn groups but notice that most people on them are there just to promote their own little things, bordering on spam.

Are any of you getting anything out of LinkedIn?

2. khaleel

khaleel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't even touched LinkedIn well mainly because it is not a populor as the other social sites like facebook or twitter

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a lot of connections Clint. I use LinkedIn really just for keeping in touch with business contacts and seeing what they are up to. I don't really use it to promote anything, so it hasn't done much for me on that front.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I posted my experiences with advertising on LinkedIn in this thread. I have been a member of LinkedIn for awhile, and don't have even close to 1200 connections, and only belong to a few groups. The important thing to remember about the networking sites is that you have to be involved in them. It is not enough to occasionally visit. With that in mind, I have also started a blog, and I share the posts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Biznik.
    You have to be visible to your potential clients when they are thinking about the services you offer, so it's important to be involved as much as possible. Unlike SE's, where people search phrases related to a business because they are actively searching for a product or service, people visiting networking sites are not actively looking, but if you have a promotion running, or publish articles often enough, you will be on their mind when and if they have a need for your services.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to a April 2011 study from ROI Research and Performics, 59% of online consumers rate having a LinkedIn account 4 or 5 on a five-point importance scale, compared to 53% giving this level of importance to having a FB account. So the potential is definitely great, it just has to be utilized properly as joeroxx said, by networking, and developing relationships with your target audience.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I heard something very similar too and that the demographics of the average LinkedIn user is well suited for business (compared to say Facebook where it's a real mixed bag).

I guess another way to rephrase my original question is - has anybody had any success stories from LinkedIn?

7. khaleel

khaleel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh ok I will keep that in mind and make an account when I am free to see what I can do

8. TopDogSM

TopDogSM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Clint, although LinkedIn is very different from the other social networks in that it is for business professionals, there is one common denominator, social networks must be social. When you connect with someone, always send a personalized message, ask questions to learn more about them. Do the same when people connect with you. Is your LinkedIn profile fully completed? Do people know clearly what you do and why they may want to connect with you. I've trained many people on LinkedIn and after they really understand it they realize that there is no social network more powerful than it. It is very important to have a fully developed profile, that is keyword optimized so the right people find you. Your LinkedIn profile should not read like a boring resume or bio. Many people invest in having them professionally done because the value of that is that you will be found a lot more often, by the right people, and people will know how and why to engage with you. And never be spammy, I agree there is WAY too much of that out there on all social media platforms!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. I would still very much like to hear about specific examples of successes from LinkedIn though. Maybe specific cases.

10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe i should complete my profile in linkedin to simply try promoting there :D
    is it just fine to apply online and show your public linkedin profile as your resume?

11. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I get a lot of people requesting to connect but no one I know and no one I can benefit from. They are nowhere near me and they are just looking to promote. Because of this I no longer use LinkedIn. It's pretty much useless to me.

12. Nova

Nova
    uix_expand uix_collapse

YEA, Jerlene is right. When I used it, it didnt really help me economically at all

13. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am trying to use it to build relationships and a network of business' in the field of one of my websites -Resumer.Me. So I am looking to build communications with recruitment agencies and companies. Admittedly I may not know them all, but once we discuss our common interest it seems to work ok.

14. ladydeluxehotel

ladydeluxehotel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow Clint that was a huge connection. I only got hundreds as of now.. Actually, in Linkedin i keep on posting anything or specially something to promote my site, on my wall, on groups and even as message to all friends. Right now, the only thing i got from Linkedin is traffic. Thou it is not as huge as traffic from FB, atleast i can see some fromthis social networking site. And i only do this once a week.

15. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never register linkedin. Due to Linkedin members are keep growing, I will pay some attention to it.

16. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've never touched LinkedIn mainly because I don't see much potential in it at the moment. Everyone is on Facebook and I think it provides enough interactions to promote my business, why should I put an increase in my tensions by registering to one more and then thinking about ways to get something worthwhile out of it. I think becoming greedy does not pay well.

17. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The one thing I heard about LinkedIn that attracts me is that the average member is mid to senior management, average income $120 K per year. For my businesses, that's a good demographic for me.

18. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Though i'm a member I've had no need as of yet to use it. Might be one of those that takes a while to come into effect before it becomes useful to anyone.