Any tips on spam prevention on forums?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Philippines, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Philippines

Philippines
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had a forum but gave up as there were just too many people signing up just to spam.
    Any tips on spam prevention?

2. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Increase time between 2 posts (1 minute or 2 can prevent a lot of spam)

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to BAF, Philippines. Thanks for posting your questions here regarding your forum.
    There are lots of ways to prevent spam like having moderators online everyday. It will be better if you have someone from another timezone and another from another timezone. It si similar to what I have suggested Fergal before. And since I reside in the PH and realitybites.in/Sahil resides in India (sorry Kay, I forgot where you from :(), we could take turns in watching over the forum spams here.

Another way is increasing a time frame of each allowed posts. Maybe a minute or two but not too long. Increase also your spam prevention from your site's registration page, like CAPTCHA, email and mobile verification.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What forum software were you using Philippines?

Other good ways of preventing spam are;

• Don't allow members to post images or links in their first few posts - if a spammer can't post links, they are likely to leave your site and go elsewhere
    • Don't allow signature links, until members have made a certain amount of helpful posts
    • Use databases such as http://www.stopforumspam.com/ to block the spammers from registering at your site.

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You could have it user or admin activated, use CAPTCHA and extra "unique" compulsory fields when signing up, some of which the typical bot would find it hard to answer, eg. "leave this field blank".

6. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sign up a few volunteer moderators to block spammers. You cant do it all yourself.

7. alel

alel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use e-mail verification to reduce SPAMmers. 20-40 % from registration in my site are unverified emails. I'll rather lose those visitors than to have another miserable day deleting spam post. MV5869 does point out!
    Forum is about community participation, I'm sure there's someone willing to be your moderator

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not allowing guests to post is the most obvious way to stop spam. I know it's tempting when you initially start a forum to bend over backwards to make things easier by not having to register but it's a road to ruin. Add CAPTCHA too.

You need to ban the spammers all by IP on the admin side as you're going along too, and not just delete their posts.

GekiDan, I forget where I am some days too LOL. :) I'm in the US.