Any Thoughts on Google Local Listing?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by hetalhet, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello all..
    Hope you all are doing well... :)

I want to learn about Google Local Listing if anyone had tried it...

Well let me explain...
    From next week, I have task assigned to place, check and recheck of Google Local Listing for all websites of my client. All websites are Australia based websites and i have to perform Google Local Listing for all websites..

So from where should I start?
    What are reviews?
    How to optimize it such that my business listing comes first in search results?
    Any tips?

It would be great help to listen any inputs, tips, pros and Cons for Google Local Listing..

Any Thoughts...
    Please share here, I have already started R&D for the same..

Thanks all in Advance.. :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

hetalhet I haven't used Google Places myself, however you might find this previous discussion helpful - Local Internet Marketing.

Hopefully some of our other members who are more familiar with local marketing on Google will give you more helpful feedback.

3. bennett

bennett
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With Google’s latest announcement of their new local recommendation engine Hotpot which works in tandem with Google Places, the local search results are now increasingly more personal, relevant and trustworthy. Which essentially means the local businesses will now be twice as careful about servicing their customers as they did before.
    From the search marketing standpoint, it is even more challenging for businesses to ensure that they optimize their websites for local searches as well. This is where a well-crafted Article Marketing campaign will do wonders for your business, if you happen to run a business that caters to local consumers as well. Here is how you can use optimize your top keywords for Google local search listing via Article Marketing.

4. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I handle Google Places for two large clients who each have multiple listings due to the nature of their businesses. These are all U.S. based, I have no experience attempting listings for other countries but imagine it's the same.

The Places listings have been critical in our SEO campaigns, clinching many local search rankings for keyword phrases that we hadn't yet achieved organically otherwise.

Here are some tips:

• Take the time to add photos, video content, etc.
    • Complete the profile
    • Use the 'Categories' to target your main keyword phrases. You need to use at least one that is within their suggestions. Hint - do a local search (change your location) for phrases you are considering using and check to see if Google is delivering Google Places results for that keyword. It won't help you much to use that phrase if they aren't. The results DO vary from one location to another.
    • Your description is an opportunity to add a broader location. For example, a business I work with is on the outskirts of Boston so the address is not Boston. In the description I mention the Greater Boston area because our target is not just the home town.
    • In the Dashboard you can include an update which will expire after 30 days. Take advantage of that real estate to highlight a promotion or some news kudos that you want to draw attention to.

As for Reviews -- Places is pulling in reviews from various Review sites and recently added the feature for customers to add reviews directly on the Places page itself. You don't have much control over that... it can be problematic depending on the nature of your business. One of my clients is a retail chain store and customers often complain on the web before they even contact support. Sometimes those negative reviews will show up. That's where ORM (online reputation management) comes in, which is a whole other post. But suffice it to say that by filling out your profile as completely as possible you can at least draw attention to what is positive about the business. If bad reviews show up they do so less glaringly.

5. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I own a business site and it ranked well as per my back links.If you list your page in local listing then i suggest to build some good backlinks and you will find your company on top for the searches that made in your local area

6. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks freelancemom for really Good Tips and also tips for Reviews

Currently I have started with two projects for locals and I got approvals also. As per your tips I have completed my Profile mostly.

Now I am looking for reviews...
    From where can I get some reviews?
    my site is based in Australia so Any sites from There?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What type of site are you seeking reviews for hetalhet?

8. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have got few popular in Australia which are raveaboutit.com.au, TrueLocal, startlocal etc.. But still I am looking for sites which allows Free Business listing and Writing business Reviews and those who are Australia based.

Please share if anyone knows such sites. Thanks.

9. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All I know about this google local listing is it is a business listings in the map that you usually see at the top or at the middle of google’s first page results.

10. matt76

matt76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Google places listings are pretty easy to get on page one for, if you take a look through the places listings there are so many that are incomplete which makes it very easy to take their spots.
    Firstly fill out everything, use your main keyword at the begining of the description.
    Add all 10 photos and 5 videos, use your keywords as the photo names. I.e 292934.jpg change to keyword & city
    Make sure your address is the same in your places listing as in any other directories.
    Get all your customers to review your listing.
    Join as many business directories as possible

These are what i consider the main points.

Regards

Matt

11. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Matt..
    Do you know some review sites? and Is it necessary that review should be from the same country from where site is from? I mean does IP conflicts effect much in reviews?
    What about Citations?

12. matt76

matt76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are targeting Google places listings in the US google "universal business listings" for $30 you details will be added to loads of citation sites.
    Reviews from abroad should not matter especially if you are global business, but most businesses will have clients in there own countries that are happy to leave a review.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

matt76 are you referring to ubl.org? That site has no association with Google or Google Places.

14. matt76

matt76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal ubl is very useful for citations, google will see your site is listed in lots of directories which in turn helps your places ranking

15. alex12

alex12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Local listing offers the ultimate control over the way the business listing appears in Google Maps. It helps to bring in the local visitor to the website without waiting too much.

16. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The most important thing to remember with Google+ Local is to create your listing there FIRST, then replicate it with the exact same business details in all other directories online.

The importance of this consistency can't be overstated.

17. tanishajain

tanishajain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone,

I would like to make you all guys one thing clear that Google Local Listing is the fastest way to bring your website in Google first page through map. Below are explanation;

1. We need to claim our address in Google map.
    2. Your name in Google Local Listing should include your major services.
    3. Do follow the communities related to your theme on Google Plus.
    4. Do regular post through it's Google Plus profile page (Relevant Post with #tags).
    5. Make sure that some good reviews should be there.

These can be consider as some most required optimization for the Google Local Listing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ronei Daselva

Ronei Daselva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google have option to create bulk local listings if you do not have different email id's for all clients. To optimize local listing, you need to perform search engine optimization along with business listing submission.

19. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great tips, I’m going to test this out straight away on one of my local listing

20. matthewgayle

matthewgayle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to add your listing accurate. Make sure your business location (name, address, contact information) and business category should be correct. Submit your business information on various local listing sites such as Google plus, Bing page. You can list your website, business description on local page. It will help to improve search results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.