Any advice for a new outside salesman

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by maxorlando, Jul 31, 2012.

1. maxorlando

maxorlando
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

I recently started as an outside salesman selling a fine array of cutlery knives as well as phone systems (since I am making the rounds anyways).

Techniques I have used:
    My company outfits me with some props that illustrate the sharpness of the blades as well as a giant catalogue to run over the different kitchen ware bundles.
    -I cut pennies,
    -I shear thick sailing cord
    -I ask them to bring me their favorite knife just to compare edges

Explaining the phone systems is a much more complicated process and I am thinking I should try implementing visual aids through a pico projector. I know I can make a larger cut if I just sell more phone systems since it has a larger margin.

Has anyone else had a very complicated product to sell and what sales techniques did you employ to overcome that?

2. SeanFace101

SeanFace101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All i could really say is too be well presented and whe you are speaking to them, be polite, confident, speak clearly & make sure you get your point across, but without being to full on, that make bring a straight rejection.
    I would try to sell as many of the higher commission rate items first, then while making/trying to make those says, bring the other items up.

3. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I would try and sell the product in the simplest way possible, or maybe compare it to something else whilst selling (if that makes sense)

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as the knives are concerned, maybe you can try researching on a factual information about your knives, and about how your knives would surely help them with their needs. Give them a reason to buy and not just see what you knives can do. Entice them by creating other factual information like (your knives stays longer than other types of knives, your knives can be useful in several purposes, your knives are not easy to handle when using, etc)

As far as the phone system is concerned, that would do, plus probably explaining how would your product be able to help them on their business needs.

5. maxorlando

maxorlando
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think in this regard, we make it a point to mention a lifetime warranty and free sharpening services. Usually the restaurants I talk to like this point, but they want regular contact and service. It gets to be time ineffective.

The phones are a different demon. I mean I know I am not the best presenter so communicating a phone system can drag on. I've been seeing smaller projectors that can do powerpoint so I had that in mind to really visualize how our plans work saving them money through a block plan instead of over charging for unlimited service. I mean most businesses never hit the block plan minutes and data alotted for them. (small businesses)

View attachment 1361

#5 maxorlando, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  6. cjarrodsnow

cjarrodsnow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The most important things in sales-

1) Persistence and perseverance
    2) Passion and believe in what you are selling...
    3) Be Proactive- Pursue as many people as you can. If statistically you are getting 5% of the people to buy, then the more people you confront, the more you will sell and for every NO, you are 1 person closer to a YES. Additionally, the more people you get infront of, the more practice you get... and of course, the more practice will allow you to refine your salesmanship, it will prepare you to confront the objections and help you get those people that are "on the fence" off the fence and on your side with the sale.

Personal appearance is important as well. Have a nice haircut, clean shaven, and dress for the occasion (dress 1 level higher than your consumer... if they wear jeans and a t-shirt, where khakis and a polo shirt... if they wear khakis and a polo shirt, where slacks and a button up, etc). Smile... Smile.. and smiles.

7. maxorlando

maxorlando
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My cheeks are definitely going to hurt with all that smiling :)