Another Google Question! This time regional

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by rakebackblogger, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have recently moved up to position 2 & 3 on google.ie for my key term..(not 100% sure how as I have been doing loads of bits and pieces in lots of different areas) Now my question is how come I can't seem to be able to rank on google.co.uk, google.ca, google.co.au? I am position 67 on Google.com..

Can anyone offer some help? The reason Im a bit preplexed is that all my competitors in the top 20 on google ireland seem to hold a similar position on all the other regional google search engines..

Is it simply down to more authority back links from irish based websites, or do I just need to keep doing what Im doing and have some patience?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done on getting those listings on Google.ie. The fact that you are so highly ranked in Google.ie in comparison to the other Google sites, would suggest that Google is recognising your site as an Irish one. I'm not sure exactly why this is, given that you are using a .com domain and your site appears to be hosted on a server in the US. Is your hosting through an Irish hosting company? Have you been getting links from Irish based sites?

Continuing to do what worked for you in Google.ie should help you to get highly ranked in Google.com and the other Google sites. Build links to your site using your keywords as the anchor text and continue to add quality content to the site.

3. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it may be down to backlinks from irish sites.. anyways as you said I'll keep building links and adding content and hopefully start moving up ..

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This happen might due to your hosting and your link population
    I believed that your link building is mostly focus on the local website, this will help you to rank better on local google search. And this is common happen especially for the non-english site

So, to rank better on google from other country, you gotta be in their languages and build more link from their local site

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keep on doing what you've been doing for Google.ie and get to that number 1 position, and then with that, expand to more generalized key terms on Google.ie. Through the process, you will become more and more known internationally, so you wouldn't need to do as much for worldly searches.

6. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My instant reaction, given you're not on a ccTLD and not with an Irish IP (and under the assumption that you haven't set any geotargeting in WMT), would have been that it's your link profile and traffic history that are indicating it's relevant (or 'more' relevant) to .ie, but glancing at your links it does appear to be more US focused than Irish (that's from a super quick glance at the linking IP's, it is possible that a US IP is there for a site targeted at the Irish market so still sending the Irish signal to the SE's despite what the IP suggests - so you'd need a far more detailed review of your profile for any meaningful analysis there). It's probably still as a result of your backlinks though, as the 'competition' probably have a significantly lower Irish element to their profile than you do (even if your own isn't exactly 'heavy') but higher weightings in the other countries or in their general trust and authority scores. Keep working on building up the quality links and you should notice the results in time.

While flicking around, a couple of things did strike me (I know I did a quick review of the site previously, but think it was such a high level one that I never touched on specifics like this). There's a severe lack of contact information on the site. I'm not sure how 'required' this type of information is in the type of service(s) you're providing (I'd assume it's pretty essential, but you'd know better than I), but 'in general' and also from a legal point of view you're required to provide a privacy policy for the site (you're collecting email information, server logs, account information, etc.) including contact details for the owner (one of the things I was checking how prevalent it was in case this was one of the '.ie signals', when I couldn't find any I was surprised).

The other thing that struck me was the lack of consistency (to put it mildly) in the navigation menu. It varies between subdirectories of the (non www) canonical URL (fine), links to subdirectories/pages of the www version of the site and links to subdomain subdirectories/pages. Perhaps there is a logical/justifiable reason for this (if there is, I'd love to hear it as I can't for the life of me think what it might be), but I'd suggest reworking this so that all the links consistently point to the canonical version (the non www) and to subdirectories of same. I can't see any reason that a subdomain would be beneficial (however lots of ways in which it would hurt) and the non canonical version is simply resulting in a redirect (and potential for some user confusion).

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Would you mind telling us what that term is?

8. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

9. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow Paul, thats a hell of a lot to take it, but I really appreciate it.

Firstly Im unsure of the following meanings
    ccTLD
    WMT

I actually wrote a new page today 'Who are RakebackReward.com' which should be up later today/tomorrow. Kinda weird that you mention this the day I wrote it!

I'll look into what my competitors are doing but Ive no problem sharing that info.

I need to talk to my developer about this but this site has to have a subdomain, as this is part of a rakeback network who track all the signups and supply the daily rakeback stats to the members private page, whereas all the pages which have newly updated content are part of wordpress blogging functionality. Basically we integrated two websites together to get the desired design and functionality.

10. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ccTLD = country code top level domain (e.g. .ie or .co.uk are ccTLDs while .com or .org are gTLDs/general TLDs). ccTLDs are instantly geotargeted to the relevant country (i.e. .ie's show in "Pages from Ireland"), gTLDs take onboard other signals to identify the target country (hosting location, settings in WMT's, etc.)

WMT = Google (or any search engine) Webmaster Tools.

I'll look into what my competitors are doing but Ive no problem sharing that info. - Worth looking at what others in your sector are including to give you a 'start', but even if they're not providing a privacy statement you're still legally obliged to do so. www.dataprotection.ie for more information on what you're required to provide (also worth checking with the ODCE for your requirements in terms of what you're obliged to disclose in terms of the business information [registered number, registered address, etc.]).

...as this is part of a rakeback network who track all the signups and supply the daily rakeback stats to the members private page.
    Ahhhh, that makes sense a bit more sense. Or at least helps explain why it's in a very unusual structure, something I just couldn't get my head around before. In that case, be sure that the developer sorts out the canonical issues on some of the links (they are being redirected and are boiler plate footer links, so carry very little benefit in any case, but it's confusing for users so better to be avoided if possible).