An idea that I have, I'd love some comments and help

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Entré, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, thanks for checking out my thread.

I am a 17 year old in Scotland. Currently unemployed and am not happy to get another job and work for 'the man'. I want to give it a shot, becoming 'the man'.

I can make websites, and I know a lot about webhosting etc. I worked in Sky for four months (like TiVo) on the telephones in the cancellation department. I know how to sell things, especially over the phones. I was the only 16 year old in the sales department in Britain when I worked there.

I am basically thinking of phoning local businesses around me and seeing if they'd be interested in a website for their business which I would create. Once I have a decent amount of clients, I'd then seriously start to think of this as a company - I'd try and expand into the global market. I have a lot of questions and would appreciate anyone who has any other feedback to offer.

• How profitable is this?
    • How much would I charge for this? I was thinking of charging them monthly for hosting via a reseller. And also managing their websites, so updating them regularly. I would be handling every aspect really of the website due to computer illiterate business owners.
    • Is this market too saturated?
    • What do I need to start this business?

I have a few more questions, however I'll keep them until these are answered. Has anybody every done this by the way? What was your success?

ANY advice on this is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Entré I admire your ambition and that is something that is certainly achievable. The first thing you will need is a website to display your portfolio, any perspective clients will largely judge you based on the quality of the work you have done in the past. Once you have a website up you can start doing some freelance work and you can find this work by advertising your services here on Business Advice Forum and in the various webmaster and freelance sites listed in our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

The web design and web hosting businesses can certainly be profitable and you can project your profits as part of completing a business plan. Is writing a business plan something you intend to do?

Personally I wouldn't say that the market is too saturated, businesses know the importance of going online and there is room in the market for providers of quality services. One thing you might do is consider focusing on a specific niche or target market.

Your pricing decisions will not be too difficult if you start by doing freelance work, you will see what other freelancers are charging and you will also see what potential clients are willing to pay for certain projects.

Good luck with it!

3. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal,
    The niche is actually local businesses. Any local business. I am going to start off advertising offline. As businesses without websites won't be online I'm assuming.

The only problem is I am not a great web designer, I was thinking of using a pre-made theme and putting it on a CMS maybe. I know this may cause problems so I am thinking about finding a partner who could help here.

The only weakness that I have is actually designing a website, I can update and edit them easily.

So it won't be a web design company, and won't be thought of as a webhost. It will be web developers creating websites and doing the things that computer illiterates couldn't do. Or sorting out what they don't understand. Like nameservers, domains, coding.

About the business plan - I am only 17 so thinks like that go over my head. I wouldn't know how to do one. I am inexperienced in business but I believe that I can conquer it.

4. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

Just a thought: You are good at sales and talking to people. I am not, but have had some decent success running a website design company since 1999, and have a portfolio and much experience under my belt. You need that, and I need a people person who can sell. See the connection? ;)

What coding languages do you know? To make a solid case for yourself will need to know XHTML, CSS2 (CSS3 recommended as this is the future), and definitely PHP. That will get your foot in some doors. The days of basic sites built with HTML are gone for the most part. I don't say this to discourage you, I say it to give you a heads up. :) Maybe you already know these things, but I had to say it to be sure. When I started out it was enough to know HTML4 and little to zero CSS. But hey, feel free to PM me for any help or advice. There is much to be aware of, but web design is awesome; I personally can't stay away from it, even though I've tried. Whatever you do, all the best to you. At seventeen you hold diamonds in your hand. Use them well!

5. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the above comments, I will bare them in mind.