Am I burnt out or do I need to make some drastic changes?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by boliviab, Dec 27, 2012.

1. boliviab

boliviab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Im really struggling to motivate myself in anyway to work in/on either of my businesses. I have owned a travel agency for 5 years now and it started very well, we grew to 3 offices in 3 years and I had to work less on dealing with customers and more on the business side of things , which I kind of liked anyway. I got the business pretty much working by itself regarding day to day functions - although sales where not as good as when I was there in the offices it wasn't possible for me to be everywhere and I needed to work on the business side of things. Beginning of this year I opened a restaurant aswell , being an ex chef and having business experience and this was something id wanted to do for some years I thought this would give me some of the motivation back for business as I had got a little bored with the travel agency. At first it did and I worked hard on setting up the restaurant and the first months of opening but since them it has really been wearing me down- the constant staff problems from both the agency and the restaurant , everyone just seems incompetent , there seems to be so many issues that I need to resolve that I cant even bring myself to begin so find myself doing nothing.

I have absolutely no enthusiasm anymore for both businesses yet I know both really need me to work on them and turn them around (i believe both are viable businesses). It feels horrible but I just don't have the energy or drive to do anything and feel angry at the smallest thing all the time. I don't believe in any of my staff either so it all seems like such an uphill struggle and I cant bring myself to do it. Im finding Im seriously contemplating packing it all in because Id rather close everything in a controlled manner than have it collapse through financial problems. At least if I sell up I can regain some money. Problem is I dont know what I would do , but maybe a break is what I need to find out. Or maybe im just completely burnt out - ive not had a holiday apart from the odd weekend break for about 4 years now.

Hope i make some sense , but im having trouble even thinking clearly.

2. Robin Williams

Robin Williams
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You definitely make sense. I can understand what you might be going through my friend. But there is little more to life than monotony. When we work hard for our families to make them smile we have to simultaneously find some time to pamper ourselves too. Take a break. Go on a vacation with friends or family. Go and watch some good plays.
    Treat yourself buddy. You will feel good. Charge yourself and you can be back with a bang!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum boliviab. You wouldn't be the first successful business owner to regret opening a restaurant as an additional business type. Maybe you could sell or close the restaurant? That would hopefully lift a weight off your shoulders, free up a lot of energy that you have been putting into the restaurant business and help you get your energy and enthusiasm back for your travel agency businesses.