Alexa or Google Page Rank?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by firstchoicecar, May 4, 2010.

1. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is the most important between the 2? I always see these most of the time. But until now i don't exactly know what is the most important between the 2 especially in SEO field. Do i need to concentrate with my Alexa ranking just like with my Google page rank?

2. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google PageRank is a very crude measure of link popularity.
    Alexa rankings are a very crude measure of traffic trends.
    For me, Better to build our sites for visitors, not for search engines..the big traffic sites tend to have a high PR but you can't use that as proof of anything.

#2 chrisdina, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  3. Zackrh

Zackrh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say neither. Both are good to know I guess, but they really don't matter much to me. Nice to pay attention to how PageRank and Alexa ranking grow though. I measure my metrics. Seeing what converts to leads, sales and revenue.

4. VJDMorrey

VJDMorrey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree..

The real way of knowing how well you're doing is how many people actually spend on your products or services.

Lots of traffic and no sales doesn't help anybody.

VM

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

None of them. Both figures are not that really accurate in telling you your real stats.
    Page Rank relies on backlinks while Alexa relies on datas fetched by the Alexa Toolbar.

What important most is the traffic coming from different sites and search engines.

Best is, to install at least 2 traffic stat calculators on your site. This way, you can see the traffic you are getting from various sites and search engines.

6. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, to actually answer the OP's question, out of the 2, I would choose your PR. With PR you are gaining backlinks, so that could get you some decent traffic from big sites.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Isn't that "not all PR backlinks will give you good traffic"?

8. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its true that not all will provide good traffic, but every link does adds up to your total traffic. There is every chance that someone will click your link. If they like your site, they might subscribe, or tell others. It can become a positive snowball effect, but on the other end, you may not get anything from it.

9. agriya

agriya
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both are visual indicators that can give you a rough idea on how you are doing promotion wise. Alexa is not very accurate at all and the pagerank is a snap shot that could be months out of date.

10. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I see. So the bottom line here is both are important to drive traffic on your site as well as the page rank correct? Well, at the very beginning i never give any attention with Alexa. All things that i work on was just page rank. Was that mean that my Alexa rank is 0?

11. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope. Alexa is an overall ranking of every site, from a scale of 1 (Google) to xx million. You don't need to even look at the Alexa site and you could potentially get a good score. Its just a measure in reliance that your visitors have the Alexa toolbar installed when viewing your site.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, the best thing to drive traffic is not Page Rank and Alexa but good content and site promotion. :D

13. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you mean Page Rank is not as important nowadays? Then how come most of the link builders concentrating with PR?

14. factoring

factoring
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PR is more important than Alexa rank, but neither one of them are important unless you are getting quality traffic. Both PR and Alexa rank can be faked, and Alexa is horrible when it comes to accuracy.

You should be focusing on your SERP rankings/traffic and not really care about your alexa/PR.

15. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If choose one out of the two, i will prefer PR. Alexa ranking is not accurate enough, and it can be boost by using some software.

16. antonclovelly

antonclovelly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The alexa and google they both are individually perform on their part. You can’t combined them. Alexa is the self operated site who display global result for your website and google is the search engine who use their data base to optimize your website and declared the result.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

18. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First part, yes.

Second part, link builders don't care about traffic when building links. They want the PageRank juice linking on to their site, as well as SERP benefits. If they have 5 PR 4 sites linking to them, they will probably get a PR 3 or 4 site assuming those sites don't have too many external links.

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Or you can use a automated script to gain Alexa Traffic.
    But this one is considered cheating.:tsktsk:

20. Kendustin

Kendustin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google and alexa rank both are different. Alexa is a tool to check whether a site has good traffic or not. If your site is showing good alexa rank that means there are chances of getting good traffic. And google page rank is completely based on the link it has nothing to do with alexa ranking.

#20 Kendustin, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010