Alert! PayPal Scam

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by dedivps, May 8, 2008.

1. dedivps

dedivps
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently got an email from another PayPal "acting a like" scam website. Here is the email:
    My advice:
    1) Take a look closely the sender (where the email come from)
    2) Click the link. Do not put any information of your paypal in that website. In my case, it redirect me to this Suspected Web Forgery. The website is similar with PayPal website. Never trust such website.

Hope this is useful

2. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've heard of a website that tells Paypal is scam.

Check this website and review,
    www.paypalwarning.com

there are many stories, that is so confusing to believe.

3. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well it is in one sense. They freezed my paypal account and now I can't send or receive payments. They also cut $3 dollars from my account! I hate it now.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You need to be careful with this, the email might look like it comes from that address, in your email program. However, the address displayed may not necessarily be the address it came from and the email could well be a scam.

5. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nuh, it was not a scam but next time I will be careful :)

6. moonlight

moonlight
    uix_expand uix_collapse

wow i've read some stories from this site it's real horror stories
    my account is limited now which i think is a big gift from paypal to me now caz i can only recive money but i can't send so i'm rather away from paypal horror stories till now
    i got some mails like this before but i was heard from a friend that his account been hacked by this way so i was very careful and i didn't click any links at this mail :)

7. dedivps

dedivps
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please do not trust whatever you read in that website. Most of them are fake statement. Well, I do believe some of the statement though.
    Yes, it seems the taken down the url above. I think they caught by PayPal already. I forwarded those email to PayPal and they confirmed that the website is one of the thousand scam.

8. shocky

shocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

People may get frozen accounts sat Paypal for being caught doing all kinds of things PayPal's TOS don't agree with . That doesn't mean they can't be trusted. The best proof is that it's being used as one of the main payment methods on ebay and many other major commercial leaders. The accounts are usually frozen until they become verified. So if you are completely legitimate you have nothing to be afraid of.

9. avi007i

avi007i
    uix_expand uix_collapse

is this kind of the mails I get from others like
    1) Somebody want to kill you
    2)You got a award from Microsoft
    3)You inherited $5 million .?

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The email in the main post is a phishing scam to get your paypal details. avi007i, the 3 kinds of emails you've just listed are scam emails too. I also receive these kinds of emails.

I also recently received that email award from Microsoft/Yahoo saying that I won GBP 500,000.00. They then said that my package is already in Fedex, I just need to send money to this manager in Fedex and I'll get my GBP 500K. I checked the Fedex address they gave me but it's not a real Fedex office address so I reported them to Fedex and the U.K. Met police!

The important thing to remember about scams are the following:
    - Most emails from Africa (and some from U.K), are usually scams
    - These scam emails usually asks for help in transferring their millions but you must pay them some admin or lawyer fees, etc.
    - phishing scams will ask for credit card details or other info

11. avi007i

avi007i
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks,

However I once got a mail from one scam guy, who even dared to give me his phone number. His name of Steve something. I called him up, he picked and confirmed his identity was the same as in that of the mail.

However I think the scammer was just a guy playing a prank by giving someone else's number.

12. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing that information dedivps.

If we watch carefull, then we can see this email is not from paypal but paypall, a double ll (paypall). However it's nice to be informed then to be fooled by such emails. Prevention is better than cure.

avi007i, Yeah I have also been getting these kind of messages which is nothing but SCAM. You should ignore these kind of messages.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well spotted, I missed that.

14. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for that.

PayPall.

Why don't they get a life and make a proper Internet business instead if scamming people. They will end up in jail anyways.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I hope you're right. The sad thing is that they wouldn't do it if it never ever worked for them. Unfortunately people do fall for these scams.

I know someone personally, who fell for a lottery scam. She sent money to Spain believing that she'd won a lotto. Not surprisingly she didn't get any money from them and unfortunately the Irish police authorities (Gardai) seemed powerless to help her.

16. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are right a lot of people do get scammed. Common ones are on eBay. People sell nothing. However the description when read properly actually says you are buying nothing.

If you can write smart, you earn easy. I seen this on the Real Hustle show.

17. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're true, BlueEew. Professional writing to the sales of the products often trick people to buy the products, which equals to nothing to get. It can be found in many website. Simply Old is Gold, you need to trust old companies which have been coming out paying customers and satisfying them. No doubt, some New websites may sell/buy products at an profitable price you want. But be careful, I don't simply mean Don't join the website, but have preventive measures first.

18. avi007i

avi007i
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well don't these people use proxies to do the job.
    Ip hider is another excellent resource for them to hide and get away with their hands clean.