age restrictions?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by dragonrider370, May 25, 2011.

1. dragonrider370

dragonrider370
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I have been searching around and no wear will tell me if there is a legal age that someone has to be to start there own buissness i live in idaho and was wondering if my son would be able to start his own buissness he is currently 16.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum dragonrider370. When we listen to interviews with hugely successful entrepreneurs we sometimes hear them talking about how they set up their first business in their childhood. Really there is nothing to stop a 16 year old from setting up a business and it is something to be strongly encouraged in my opinion.

Is he interested in any particular type of business?

3. dragonrider370

dragonrider370
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for replying i was wondering if he is alowed to hold the license for it or if i have to hold them for him.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That would probably depend on the nature of the business dragonrider370, can you tell us what type of business he is interested in starting?

5. dragonrider370

dragonrider370
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it would be an electronic repair buissness ex. computer/phone repair ect.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

dragonrider370 what I'd suggest is that your son starts this business by doing work for friends and relations and then extend through word of mouth to friends of friends (this is probably what he will be doing anyway). This approach would allow him to gain practical and business experience before he starts promoting the business heavily and appearing above the radar.

As I'm not in the US I can't be certain as to the exact regulations that would apply to your son. However, what I'd suggest is that you contact your local IRS Office and run your queries by them. You could contact them anonymously, if you wish to avoid bringing the business to their attention at this time.

I admire your son for starting out so young and wish him the very best of luck with it. Please do post back with an update and let us know if you have any further questions.

7. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I think 16 is quite a mature and sensible age to start a business. Without wasting any time, plan your ideas, give your full support to him.
    Exactly, kick it off from a lower scale and then expand it over.

Many many best of best luck for your son.

8. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At you're age I think it is enough to start business,I don't know or hear something about this age restrictions,I guess there is no minimum age in starting a business.

9. MJsusan

MJsusan
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

i think you should have to hold them for him.