African Start-up Service

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by dove99x, May 24, 2013.

1. dove99x

dove99x
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm basically in the planing stage of it all, I would appreciate if you could lend me a hand with how to decipher my particular issue.

I'm African by birth and American by identity, so I believe I know and are more comfortable going in an out between my two cultures ( American & African). The benifits for me is that I'm fluent in both cultures and langues and I belive I have what it takes to make a change and break the divide blocking these places apart. The problem mainly is where I could help...

At the monent I am a college student, and in hindsight that gives me little capital to no capital to begin with and makes things that much harder to start. What I do understand is there is a large ethic group that specificly deals with ethnic busneses especially money related ones to handle and send things home (income). That's one side.

But here is the big picture, as a result of my country being poor the majority of its income comes from families abroad with little to no incomes being produced at home. This leaves little for a growing entrepreneurship to prosper there or even start there. Its possible, but highly difficult and most likely dangerous.

Starting a business back there would not help me much since there is no customer base to begin with. Second, I believe the best option for me is to make international businesses meditation services that connects the disconnection between these two places. Not many large companies have reliable sources and common sources that they can connect with and vice-versa. The problem is what type of service and I grown and provide for them?

Thinking small and considering my situtation as a college student, I thought why not start a small money-transfering serice that serves the heavily disconnected immagrant community outside African and in America. Though thinking about it, what would differentiate me from the hundred of local ethnic money-transfering serices scattered around town. Even though I would do better, provide better service, quicken their time I doubt letting a college student handle your money would work. Though I believe it wouldn't hurt to offer.

I was wondering if you could provide me with ideas or paths I could take to better the other society I left behind. Starting a telecommunication company, or a banking company, or any large thing wouldn't be in my power even though I want to and it deeply is needed.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum dove99x, thanks for joining and posting your business questions.

How would you plan on competing with major companies who are competing in this area, I'm thinking of competitors such as Western Union and the High Street banks?

3. dove99x

dove99x
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you.

I have no plans of ever competiting with large company such as Western Union, I don't have any chance against them. I would think it would be best to serve and provide a better service to a community that feels they're only comfortable with local businesses.

But again here rises a problem I'm a young college student,I am competing with multiple multiple tiny companies, and there's no way for me to differentiate myself.

I might actually need to think this through, I doubt a transferring services would that much of a difference. Any electronically system for them to use like an email or internet is out of the question, majority don't speak English or know much about electronics. Maybe there's something in there who knows.

I am educated, I am fluent in both languages, I do understand the cultural divides, and I am willing to provide better serves at a minimum to them. It may not be a money transferring system, but it will be something. I just need to think what that something is. The other option is to enter the regular market and try to provide services better than large US companies which in my honest opinion isn't going to happen without some serious new ideas or large income behind it. At the moment I just want to focus on the community that refuses to do business with companies larger than your mom and pop store.

If you've noticed I'm not an expert at business, I'm sure I'm committing allot of errors. Maybe you could advise me.

#3 dove99x, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013