Affiliate programs

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JPM, Mar 8, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I am a member of Trade Doubler, but i am looking for alternatives to this for two different sites we run.

One is very retail based, and the other is www.productforum.info which is very much tech' based currently.

Has anyone got any experience of very good affiliate sites such as this, or ones to definitely avoid?

Also - both sites are Irish, but on www.productforum.info we have alot of US and UK members so we would like to sign up for affiliate programs based in those countries also, I assume this is possible?

Thanks in advance,
    Jonathan

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You could have a look at affiliate networks such as Commission Junction and ClickBank.

What's your opinion on TradeDoubler, have they been displaying relevant ads on your sites?

3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

I can actually apply to join specific networks. I have been accepted by Dell, Apple, iTunes and Microsoft - so the relevance is very good, and I can choose to change this at will. So i'm happy.

Have you tried either of those you mentioned?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

JPM I tried ClickBank on Forum Promotion for some time, but unfortunately it was not successful and I found that I could generate more revenue from the ad slots by selling them directly to advertisers, than I could from displaying affiliate ads. I've looked at Commission Junction and there is a huge array of products there that you can promote. However, I haven't actually used it.

Sometimes it's worth going directly to the business rather than through an affiliate program. E.g. using HostGator's own affiliate program rather than promoting HostGator through Commission Junction.

Did I see that you were using Amazon's affiliate program, how did that work out for you? I previously had a little success with it but it dwindled in recent times. I just might try it again here on BAF.

5. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We used Amazon's affiliate program for a while, had a little success as the cookie system is generally very prolonged. We will still use it from time to time, but i'm giving Apple a try first of all.

To be honest, revenue is not a concern for us, we just really want to cover running costs.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I take a similar view myself. My opinion is that if you can build up a lot of traffic from your target market, it will not be that difficult to generate revenue from that traffic. However, if you don't have quality traffic it is almost impossible to generate decent revenue, no matter what you do.

7. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have noticed one or two companies on Trade Doubler that offer PPC rather than sales commission, however they seem to take weeks in responding to your applications.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

9. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Signed up for that yesterday, just waiting to get confirmation.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I notice that you've started displaying Adsense ads on your forum JPM and I believe they may work quite well for you. Visitors to your forum will be interested in the products they are discussing there, hence they are likely to be interested in ads promoting similar products. Saying that remember that it does take time to generate big revenue from it. Good luck with it.