Advice you can give to a newbie

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by kaian, Jul 7, 2015.

1. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To those who had already been engaged in the online business, what sort of advice can you give to someone who is just starting. How were you able to cope up with the stress and demands of this industry? Have you ever thought of giving up and where did you turn to?

2. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My advice is to focus on finding a way that you can provide exceptional value to a specific target audience. Let's say you wanted to try to make money blogging. In that example you would want to identify something you know you could write about that would be a huge value to the people who would read it. If you knew a lot about restoring a 57 Chevy because you spent the last few years restoring one, then you could create an entire blog based website about "How to restore a 57 Chevy". You could share what problems you ran into and what solutions you found for those problems. Other people out there who are trying to restore a 57 Chevy would find your advice exceptionally valuable. You could create a useful community around that topic.

A site like that is a much better idea than just launching a blog and writing about whatever comes to your mind. If you write about a whole bunch of topics hoping that maybe someone will find your life interesting enough, you will soon discover that the only person who thinks your life is that interesting is you. You have to think in terms of what those other people want. Not what you want.

If you don't provide something that people really want, then your business venture will flop.

The most stressful things that I ran into when starting an online business was figuring out what is true and what isn't true from what you read about on the internet. In almost every place I look online these days, I see inexperienced people offering bad advice to other inexperienced people. That is far more common than finding someone offering legitimately useful insider advice.

I coped with it by figuring out the truth for myself. For example, if you take the advice of most people offering SEO advice on blogs and forums you will end up feeling completely defeated as you won't be able to get your pages to rank well. And it takes a tremendous amount of time, effort and experimentation to learn the truth for yourself. But, once you learn the truth, nobody can take that away from you and you can just shake your head at other people (even people who seem experienced) who offer bad advice to newbies who don't know better.

I thought of quitting countless times. I was only doing my online business part time. So, I didn't need to make a living from it. Therefore I was able to walk away from it for a few months and come back to it again once I got my mind straight again. I have done that more than once over the last 9 years. If I had been trying to earn a full time living from it right from the beginning, I would certainly have failed and given up. I think that is the problem most people run into. It simply takes a lot longer to learn the truth about what works and what doesn't work. It takes a lot of experimentation, trial and error. It takes a long time to learn from mistakes.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have an online business but I had one off line. A business needs full attention and if you are like me who's got an office job, you have to work double time. That's one reason why I quit the business because I love it although I cannot give it my time because of my office work. Maybe when I retire, I would engage again in selling RTW (ready to wear) clothes that I am well versed in. And open my boutique, hopefully, near our house.

4. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know most people reading this thread knows about adding value to whatever we do but one thing that struck me is your choice of that 57 Chevy restoration. I think you hit the nail in the head when you used it to explain your point. It is not easy coming up with what you could write about, and make it sell or gain some decent visits each day. We can not be copycats because our readers can tell just like you who is real or pro and who is just riding the tides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. hrishivardhan

hrishivardhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My advice to a newbie is to not to be a newbie only, keep posting and stay active.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have an online business yet, but I am pretty sure having one could be really stressful and you would experience a lot of pressure. Just try to be focused all the time and celebrate small accomplishments. It would make you feel motivated to do even better in this field. On the technical side, do a lot of internet marketing such as promoting your business/products on various social media platforms. Good luck! :)

7. elmarianexx

elmarianexx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't own any business online, but I'm still earning quite a lot although I'm only a 15 year old teenager. I'm a freelance writer, I write articles for individuals or companies also for different blogs. In my opinion it's the easiest way to work online, and it's a perfect job for newbies also, so that should be a hint for you. If you have some more time and you're ready for research then try reading some guides on the Internet, maybe some other money making idea will inspire you, all the way good luck on your journey, and let us know how you're doing. ;))

8. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My advice would be to be skeptical, always. At first, it is normal to spend more time sifting through spam sites than actually earning money, but with time you will learn to recognize which sites are legit and which are not.

9. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I would have to do that. This is a simple yet effective advice that I have forgotten to do. Sometimes the stress and pressure can take away the fun and celebrating small wins is something that I should be doing moving forward. Thank you for that reminder.

10. Khalid

Khalid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It all comes down to people and helping them, preferably by solving a problem they have. I think the single most important aspect of starting a business (online or offline) is having a exceptionally clear picture of who your target audience is, who it is you are trying to help.

But it isn't as simple as finding a problem people have. There are 3 components:
    1. You have to love it or have a passion for it
    2. There needs to be a large enough group of people with the same problem
    3. It has to be a profitable problem to solve
    The challenge is finding where all 3 of those intersect. I just wrote a fairly detailed blog post which goes through that process of finding a profitable niche that you can have a read of.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #10 Khalid, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best advice that I can give someone is to keep looking until you are able to find something. I know that I had a hard time finding something because you never know what is a scam and what isn't. I almost gave up, but I'm glad that I didn't. I have been able to make some good money. The best thing that you can do when working online is when you find a good place to make money and then find another that makes more, keep doing both. You don't want to just switch if you can do both that way you can make more money. Obviously you won't be make a ton of money since it's just online, but it's something to keep in mind.

12. praveenbhat

praveenbhat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my personal experience, managing your cash flow is very important. Always plan for the rainy day.

Initially I started out as a Freelance Web Designer ( at the same time I had a regular job as well ), so I was getting good money in from both the jobs. Once I quit my day job and went full time Freelancing I felt the pinch as my income nearly was half of what I was earning before. I never thought about the cash flow aspect. I thought of quitting, but somehow I was able to manage to survive for 6 months. After that it is was good.

13. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The important thing is to keep trying. There are so man different work at home options available and they don't suit everyone. Finding the right sites for you requires some amount of trial and error. It's important not to give up at the first hurdle.