Advice: recovering from major change

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by VDubs, Dec 4, 2009.

1. VDubs

VDubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My business is a one man operation, so the company reputation is my reputation. Well, last year a number of personal issues (multiple deaths of friends and family, a divorce, and other personal matters) had a negative impact on my performance. I'm happy to say that things are settling back down again, so it's time to set my sights on rebuilding and assessing the damage.

So does anyone have suggestions on the best route? Rebranding? Mass e-mails to long-time clients? Something else?

E

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum VDubs and thanks for asking your business questions. I'm sorry to hear that you have been through such a rough time.

What type of business do you have?

Is your business still running and serving clients?

If you feel that a large number of people have been let down or have heard negative things about your business, then a re-launch of the business, under a different name might be required in order to make a fresh start. However, if only a small number of people have been affected by your business, you should consider contacting them to explain the difficulties that you have experienced and assure them that service will be much better in the future.

As you develop the business you should look for systems that you can implement to try to ensure that the business could survive independently of you. Maybe you could take on a part time member of staff, who would be willing to work additional hours to cover for you, as and when required.

The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It, by Michael Gerber is an excellent book with very helpful suggestions on how to manage & build a small business is such a way that it can operate without you.

Good luck with everything and please do post back with your thoughts.

3. iamjohns

iamjohns
    uix_expand uix_collapse

sorry to hear ...... and glad that you get over it ....... can i ask you what type of business you running ? ?