1. Bennelong Cultural Centre
    :)
    We have been working to establish The Bennelong Cultural Centre that will provide visual Artists and the Austrlian and International Community with Artist's Studio Workshops, an Exhibition/Public Art Gallery, Artists in Residence program, Coffee Shop, Artists Supplies Shop, Photographic Darkroom and Digital Photography facility.

We are seeking persons to nominate to join our Board of Trustees.
    We need some advice from your members of this forum, who may be in a position to give advice on how to go about attracting people to join?
    Thank you from [email protected]
    Barbara
    [email protected]

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello from a Sydney sider.

Are you able to give further information such as what type of people you are looking to attract or what skills you want them to have, are they voluntary positions, are you needing people who will be able to act as patrons and provide PR support or what?

If I know more about what you are actually seeking then I can probably offer some assistance!

3. Hello Technowoman
    Thanks for your message:

The type of people that we are looking for need to be professional business people who have managerial skills and knowledge on how to manage a company/ project. Could be former company directors. These people would be volunteering their time. As well as persons who have skills in fundraising. People who have knowledge of managing a Public Fund. The type of people that are on most company directors boards, who must be honest etc. The issue is not what sort of people we need, the issue is where do we find these people? and how to go about it.

In the past I have written to people who I thought maybe interested but although they support the project don't seem to have the time to get involved.

I thank you for your interest and hope you can help.
    [email protected]
    Barbara

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you tried contacting organisations such as City Business Swap in Sydney, Sphinxx (a woman who works to get more business women onto boards), Business Chicks, Women's Network Australia, Network Central and to leverage their lists or advertise with them?

These groups may have some people of the calibre and position who are interested in participating, being able to give back or doing a role voluntarily to get a foot into future board/director positions from their current high level management position.

Are your letters hitting the mark and making it sound like an attractive proposition. I know that seems like a strange question but I have rarely been sent something asking for me to donate anything that hasn't sounded apologetic and unattractive. if you want to PM me I can take a scan over your letter, or ads for you if it would help.

Lastly do you have a website yet? Is it optimized and ranking and does it have the positions listed and a call for applications? If not I may be able to help with that depending on whether you have any budget - no matter how small!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Barbara. Tecknowoman has given you some great advice and suggestions and I hope that they are helpful to you.

Have you asked people who are already connected with your organisation if they would be interested in joining your Board of Trustees? If they are not interested themselves, they may know of someone who is - ask them if they do and help them by telling them about the type of person you need. Outline some details of the type of person you are looking for and the help you need. Then communicate these requirements to every person your organisation deals with.

Good luck with it.

6. HelloTechnowoman

No I haven't contacted the organisations that you mention as they are unfamiliar to me. I am interested in doing so. If you can give me their contact details I would appreciate it.

As for our letters hitting the mark. I think they are, but it would be good if you could take a look at them. If you can give me an email address I could send them to you.
    What do you mean by PM you? (I am new to the forums).

We have received excellent feedback and support for our project in replies to our letters.

We do not have a Website for the Bennelong Cultural Centre, our budget is very small. Sounds like a great idea though.

Your help is much appreciated
    from [email protected]

7. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there I don't have the details of all those to hand but will dig up for you.

If you go to User CP along the menu bar it will bring up a left hand menu on the page, scroll down it and there is a section for messages and send message. That way we can share emails, contact details etc.

Being in Sydney I can throw together a website that will be optimized to get you great page listing results quickly and teach you to use it very easily if you are interested in chatting about it.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back with your feedback Barbara.

Even if he is not familiar with setting up a Board of Directors he should be able to source the information you need on the relevant legal implications. If this is something he can't or won't do, perhaps you need to obtain advice from a more commercially minded solicitor.

You can view further information on how the Thanks system works here.

9. Hello Technowoman
    I will be sending you some info by email soon so you can take a look at them.You can give me feedback as you said.

About the website I thought that it would be better to have one when the project is operational. What is your opinion?

There is some info on nava website about the project. There site is http://www.visualarts.net.au

I do have a site for my artwork at http://www.upthearts.bigpondhosting.com unfortuately I can not add more info into it as the program does not have this website builder version anymore. I would need to upgrade but it is expensive.

Maybe I could apply for a grant? Do you have any ideas?

from
    [email protected]

10. Caleb Spilchen

Caleb Spilchen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Talking with your patrons at the theatre about available positions and whether they would be interested is a good way.

Or just throw little bulletins, or e-mails up about the available positions.

Caleb

11. Hi bozonessinc, thankyou for your reply You mention emails and bulletins. But where are these located?

[email protected]