Advice on Starting my own business

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by paco, Jul 21, 2011.

1. paco

paco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My name is Dave Gregg. I am currently a student at IADT Seattle and I am studying Graphic Design. I am looking on starting my own business revolving around my Artwork, Photography and Tattoo. I think I have an understanding on how to start this but I am only being optimistic and can really use some advice. Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thank you and have a good day!!!:):D

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A friend started this kind of business back when DP was still a great place to start, he provide free graphic headers and logos or asking $5/each. he even did some for free in exchange for +reviews to help him promote his business using deviantart account as a porfolio.

3. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although I do agree that DP has gone quite downhill as of recently, I wouldn't count them out. Here's some advice that I can give you.

1. Make your own website regarding your business - This will ensure consumers that you are the real deal and that you're their for business, which in your case to create them amazing logos, banners, and possibly even in the future websites.

2. Promote your services and site. You can do this online by installing key SEO tactics in your site and also by promoting on webmaster forums such as DigitalPoint, WarriorForums, SitePoint, and many other webmaster forums.

3. Make sure you do quality work. Word of mouth has and always will be, in my own opinion, the best marketing tool for businesses. Make sure you do quality work and tend to all of your customers needs and wants with a design project/job. That way, the word of mouth that's spread is positive.

4. In the beginning, offer promotional pricings. This will bring more people in and request services, and it could also generate even more leads as long as you do a good job! I've always done promotional services towards the beginning to obtain either testimonials, reviews, or beginning clientele.

Hope some of that helps.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi paco, thanks for joining and posting on our business forum. You will find some great tips for promoting a graphic design service business in our previous discussion - How can i gain clients for Graphic Design service?

You would also be very welcome to promote your services for free in our Webmaster, Hosting & Advertising Offers & Requests advertising forum section.

The Freelance Sites listed in our Useful Online Business Resources thread would also be very helpful for promoting your services.

My overall suggestion would be to start the business right now on a part time basis by offering your services to friends, family and people in your network. Start building your portfolio and create a website to display that portfolio. Expand your business as time goes on and as more and more people become aware of what you can offer.

Good luck with it and please do post back with your opinions and to let us know if you have any further questions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    If you feel that you have sense that how to start it than why are you getting confuse? You just start it and keep it in mind that in start may be you would not generate revenue from it but after sometime it may reward you good. Graphic designing is a good thing and you may earn more from it if you are innovative.
    Best of luck....:)

6. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's great that you are following your passion, and committed to starting your own business. I would suggest you start working for a company part time in order for you to get a feel on how to start and maintain a business. You can do freelancing on the side and eventually take it on full time. But it seems like you can use the experience in working for someone first and learning all aspects of the business in order for you to apply it to yourself.

7. Yanni

Yanni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd create a website and promote it through PPC ad's at first. While you start generating some traffic/leads/cash through PPC, move over to organic for long sustaining traffic.

Additionally, don't be scared to ask for help from friends and family. Create a large e-mail list of your family and friends... you'll could do this by simply asking all of your friends to give you their e-mails through facebook.

Once you have their e-mail addresses, create interesting content pieces and shoot them out to your list. Keep giving your list valuable information and they will forward it to other people... and your list will eventually grow.. as well as your visibility.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ACOlmsted

ACOlmsted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dave-

I'm a small business attorney in Seattle. If you need help structuring your business, protecting yourself as an individual and limiting taxes, please feel free to drop me a line at any time.

Andrew

9. golocomktg01

golocomktg01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to start a business you need to focus first on creating your marketing strategies and plans so that there will be a conviable concept.:)

10. KacieParker

KacieParker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When starting a business, you have a lot of hustling to do, but don't let the thought of this stop you from pursuing your venture. I think you first need to determine the viability of your service or product. Show your work off to social media sites like YouTube or Facebook, see if there’s a good response from people. You can also try services like Kickstarter, you may be able to gather funding from there. Marketing your service with minimum cost is the best thing you can do right now and the internet can help you with that. Some of the most profitable businesses were discovered through the sites I just mentioned. If you gain traction, you should hire someone to make you a cool site and help you manage your business. You can outsource these services to save money and become more efficient and profitable, by allowing you to focus on your product.

11. parkersharon32

parkersharon32
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Business plan is most important before you get your heads in. Research enough, prepare a full proof plan & start working on it.

12. parkersharon32

parkersharon32
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get a business attorney right away. You should be able to hold him responsible for his share of the company. A legal expert can help you figure out exactly what recourse you have.

13. Jessica1234

Jessica1234
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    This is really very inspirational that you are following your heart. Be sure that you have enough sources to start a business and just follow your heart.

All the best.

14. dsam

dsam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will advise to make a thorough research of competitors before starting. And once with all your skills and knowledge you start a business, then have patience and persistence with your work.

15. repairchoiceuk

repairchoiceuk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi, Some important facts before starting any business:-
    1.Starting a business is not an easy task. Ofcourse there is lot of risk associated with any business.
    2. Planning is the backbone of your business
    3. Do not borrow more than you can afford to lose.
    car bumper repairs , car bodywork repairs

16. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think first of all you have to promote your business on different websites to aware people about it. The next step is business plan to run it successfully. For more business ideas you may visit "dailytrader.com" and "businessideas.com".

17. localseoguru

localseoguru
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi, Some important facts before starting your business:-
    1. Planning is the backbone of your business
    2. Do not borrow more than you can afford to lose.

Search Engine Optimisation London